3090W oven flex

Europe and the UK standardised their declared residential supply voltage as 230V +10%, -6% nearly two decades ago. It's only the fact that the average voltage of supplies with a declared voltage of 230V must be somewhat over 240V that some incorrectly think that the UK still supplies at a nominal 240V. The typical voltages in the UK and Europe are now similar.

The tables of cable sizes etc. are for use with a nominal supply voltage of 230V (unless noted otherwise). They include the assumption that the actual voltage will vary by ±10% or so at the point of use.

Sponsored Links
Why does it have to be such heavy flex when the singles used inside the oven look rather thinner ?
More to the point, why does it have to be such heavy flex when it's only got to carry just over 13A?

More to the point, why does it have to be such heavy flex in the UK when in the rest of Europe it does not?

More to the point, why does it have to be butyl rubber flex when connected via a plug but PVC is OK if it's wired to a cooker outlet plate?

Ditto when one of the cable types listed as OK for the rest of Europe is H05VV-F?

I did ponder these points myself....
Ended up getting the 2.5mm heat resistant (Tower).

Thank you All

It's not so hard.

Here's the make it easier method as revealed day 1 lesson 1 of my C&G course at college many summers ago:

Strip back outer sheath to reveal about 2inches of the inner cores.
Take the plug apart
Cut the live core to length and strip back a small part of the insulation.
Put this into the screw for the live conductor. Do up the screw.
Fit and tighten the cable retaining clamp - this will hold the cable and the plug together while you wrestle with the rest of it.
Fit the Fuse
Cut the earth conductor to length and strip back insulation.
Fit conductor under screw
Do the same for neutral conductor.
Put plug top on

Job done

Sponsored Links
Surely if anything a larger cable should be used in Europe, as they are on 230V and we are on 240V(ish).

Should draw 13.43A at 230V, but only around 12.87A at 240V, more than within the capacity of 1.5mm^2 flex.

Colin C

Here we go again..... The load is resistive, so the power will INCREASE if the voltage is increased :rolleyes:

The resistance is constant, not the power.

D'oh! That's what I get for posting at half 3 in the morning! I should know better too, being an electronics student lol.

Let me try to redeem myself...

Drawing 13.42A at 230V, gives the appliance a resistance of 17.14R. At 240V this will draw 14.00A, possibly damaging a poorly assembled 13A plug?

Colin C

13A will also damage a poorly assembled plug.

BS1363 requires plugs to be able to withstand 14A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back