3090W oven flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new oven has arrived without a flex and plug. My old oven plugged in to a socket in the adjacent cabinet controlled by a sfcu above worktop on the kitchen ring final. I chose this oven because it could be swapped like for like. However the manufactures instructions state it can be fitted with a 13A plug but it has to be 2.5mm butyl insulated flex. The only 2.5mm flex I can find is arctic flex at 10mm OD. Would this suffice ?

Why does it have to be such heavy flex when the singles used inside the oven look rather thinner ?

I have attached the manufactures instructions and a photo.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Thank you

Artic Cable? No! :LOL:

Checked maplin they don't do it.
Do you know anywhere I could pick it up by the metre?
I require less than 2m

Thanks Again.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both very much, B&Q it is then.

PS I did check there it was the butyl insulated bit that threw me. I presume the Tower Flex Heat Resistant 3 Core is of equal spec?

Thanks

As you have an FCU above the worktop already, change the socket for a connection plate. It will be much easier to fit the wires into. 2.5mm into a 13A plug is possible, but will be very difficult.

Why does it have to be such heavy flex when the singles used inside the oven look rather thinner ?
More to the point, why does it have to be such heavy flex when it's only got to carry just over 13A?

More to the point, why does it have to be such heavy flex when it's got to go into a plug, and you can't (officially) get 2.5mm² into a plug?

More to the point, why does it have to be such heavy flex in the UK when in the rest of Europe it does not?

More to the point, why does it have to be butyl rubber flex when connected via a plug but PVC is OK if it's wired to a cooker outlet plate?

Ditto when one of the cable types listed as OK for the rest of Europe is H05VV-F?

Surely if anything a larger cable should be used in Europe, as they are on 230V and we are on 240V(ish).

Should draw 13.43A at 230V, but only around 12.87A at 240V, more than within the capacity of 1.5mm^2 flex.

Colin C

Surely if anything a larger cable should be used in Europe, as they are on 230V and we are on 240V(ish).
Only if they've found some way of making constant power heating elements, rather than simple resistive ones.

Which they haven't.

Should draw 13.43A at 230V, but only around 12.87A at 240V, more than within the capacity of 1.5mm^2 flex.

Colin C

Here we go again..... The load is resistive, so the power will INCREASE if the voltage is increased :rolleyes:

The resistance is constant, not the power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back