30A fuse for Whole of house

If you feel that you may have problems with overloading, then the ring can (probably) be split into two 20A radials with an equal number of sockets on each to split demand. This only requires one cable to be removed, so minimum disruption.

Colin C

Sponsored Links
I have ahad a good look around using my previous training to 16th edition and all looks to be ok.

Then you should be aware that the use of a single 30A circuit for all sockets was introduced in the late 1940s. How old is the house? How old is the wiring? How many alterations have been made in the decades between when it was installed and today and who has carried out these modifications?

I smell another rewire... ;)

I guess this means you can have a final ring circuit covering more than 100 square meters and on one fuse now then?
Obviously providing that the current protective device is rated correctly etc.
It says "historically", so I would assume some logical thought should go in to the designing of each circuit, to prevent overload and that does not mean you can install a large number of socket-outlets per circuit.

If the existing ring tests ok, then why not split it instead of upstairs and downstairs (which by the sounds of it would be a lot of work), left and right / front to back, or however it is wired. Nothing wrong with that.

Sponsored Links
I have ahad a good look around using my previous training to 16th edition and all looks to be ok.

Then you should be aware that the use of a single 30A circuit for all sockets was introduced in the late 1940s. How old is the house? How old is the wiring? How many alterations have been made in the decades between when it was installed and today and who has carried out these modifications?

I smell another rewire... ;)

It was built 1979, i know, from investigation, one spur has been added downstairs, everything else is original.
My parents house one road down built at the same time has the ring circuits split between upstairs and downstairs. I was always taught to wire it in this way in my training, not that I done any rewires. My training was a long time ago too. I guess it all depends on who wired it!

I guess this means you can have a final ring circuit covering more than 100 square meters and on one fuse now then?
Obviously providing that the current protective device is rated correctly etc.
It says "historically", so I would assume some logical thought should go in to the designing of each circuit, to prevent overload and that does not mean you can install a large number of socket-outlets per circuit.

Yes I agree. Its all to do with the design. :)

If the existing ring tests ok, then why not split it instead of upstairs and downstairs (which by the sounds of it would be a lot of work), left and right / front to back, or however it is wired. Nothing wrong with that.

Thats a good idea, I hadn't though about that possibility. I will see what the spark recommends. Thanks.

My house has one ring final serving the sockets, not been a problem with overload yet, had a new C/U installed when I moved in 4 years ago, all tested ok, so was left as is.

I will add I only have one electric heater, although the electic monitor in the summer reads out a general 700W for the whole house, peaks at 1100W at night. (excepting the use of washers etc.) unfortunatly at the moment my dishwasher and washing machine work from a single fused spur so only ever run one at once, when the kitchen gets re-done there will be at least one 20A radial just for this.

Even if the wiring is in excellent condition, an installation from 1979 simply cannot have enough socket outlets in each room to be usable with the vast array of electrical items people have today.

Even if the wiring is in excellent condition, an installation from 1979 simply cannot have enough socket outlets in each room to be usable with the vast array of electrical items people have today.

How many sockets do people have now?
I have two doubles in each bedroom, apart from the small box room where there is one double, three doubles in the lounge, (I moved from a flat which was built around 10 years ago and that had just as many sockets.) but only two doubles in the kitchen above the work surface and two singles, one for washing machine and one for the Fridge.

Hence I wish to get the kitchen rewired for more sockets and also to put it on its own radial circuit. I think the rest of the house has enough sockets for me. I'll worry about rewiring the house at a later stage if I have to, haven't got the money right now anyway.

Electrician is comming in next week, now I have worked out how I am having the kitchen. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back