32amp wiring question

I am experienced and handy enough to chase down an earthing fault in an electrical appliance,
I'd say that you could measure the resistance from earth pin on the plug to each of the other pins with a multimeter, and see if there's anything significant after it settles down. It may not tell you anything if it needs a high voltage to break down though.

Sponsored Links
Pics of the data panel:

moto_0005.jpg

moto_0004.jpg

1-50/60hz

u1 = 220v

1Max = 68Amp

1eff = 22.4Amp

I know this is an old thread, but non of the sparks have mentioned that a big arc welder, with it's big transformer, will need a C or D curve breaker!

The inrush current of the welder when an arc is struck will be massive, and will easily trip out the B curve breakers usually fitted to domestic consumer units.

I am assuming that this problem has long since been sorted, but for future reference of those wishing to use big welders at home (or at work), an appropriate (16 or 32 amp) socket, wired directly back to the distribution board where it is fed from a C/D curve breaker is required.

Keep your extension leads for welders as short and as heavy as possible.

Yes it is a very old thread and will have been well sorted by now.

It's not as simple as just slapping a C or D type breaker in. It's not uncommon for a domestic Ze to be too high to open a D type breaker, never mind the Zs.

Having said all that, and now read the old thread, the op has a problem with BS1362 fuses blowing too, which the circuit breaker type will have no effect on.

Sponsored Links
As we have dredged this one up already, aren't you also supposed to advise your local DNO that you are using a welder in a domestic premises?

aren't you also supposed to advise your local DNO that you are using a welder in a domestic premises?

Nearly, you are supposed to apply for permission to connect it before even using it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back