What sort of socket for a welding set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a small stick welder, rating plate states; 230v, 22A internal fuse, 36A max mains current, 11A eff mains current. Not supplied with a domestic 3 pin plug and should be connected to a 32A fused spur.
My garage was wired by an electrician 2 years ago who ran a single 2.5 t&e cable from a 32A trip 20 feet to a 35A switch to a compressor. The compressor died and was dumped. Can I remove the switch and install a socket to run the welder from? If so what sort of socket & plug should I use? I’ve searched but it all got a bit heavy!
Regards.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Then I guess 6mm would be and then which socket/plug please ?

A 32amp one!

PS. That existing 2.5mm² cable should not be on a 32amp breaker. 20amp is the max.

My appologies its actually a C25 trip, the 32 is next to it which is what led to my mistake.

So, i think what the 'quips' are pointing at is a 32 amp trip, 6mm cable, and a 25 or 32 amp socket and plug. Its amazing what you don't know until you find the answer from someone, thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back