Info on a dedicated circuit for a welding machine required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuses and MCBs protect cables - not CUs.

RCDs protect people.
Yes I know that, jeez do us newbies really need to be so anal when writing a post trying to explain an idea.
This is my anal reply - Your statement implies that I have said that a CU protects cables?!? Obviously not what you meant but one good deed deserves another.

Sponsored Links
Yes I know that,
No you don't.

jeez do us newbies really need to be so anal when writing a post trying to explain an idea.
It's not anal - you are using the wrong terms so no one knows what you really mean.
I'm still not sure you mean what you write when you use RCD, RCBO, MCB etc.

This is my anal reply - Your statement implies that I have said that a CU protects cables?!?
No. You keep saying a Fuse/MCB is to protect the CU. See what I mean?

Obviously not what you meant but one good deed deserves another.
No. You even got that wrong.

Read what you wrote out loud and you'll see what I mean, I don't have time to talk Vulcan with you.

Sponsored Links
Get off your high horse, I don't need you to tell me to get an electrician. I have a genuine interest in how everything works in my house. It was a mistake asking for advice on here, a very small percentage of replies was actually informative.

While I'm at it I might as well explain that the new CCU will be in an extension which is Henley blocked

Are you aware there is a maximum permitted lenght of tails between meter and the single point of disconnection which when operated disconnects all power to the property ? In many new installation this is an isolator fitted in the meter cabinet. An isolator and not a fuse or MCB or RCBO. The tails are protected by the DNO fuse in the cut out.

If you run long tails, from memory 5 metres is maximum, to the new CU then there should be a means to safely isolate them at the meter box.

The more you write the more obvious it is that you do need an electrician to do this installation for you.

Ok I'm not saying your not right, don't be so touchy, I'm just giving more information about what the situation is incase it makes a difference to the design in regards to safety. While I'm at it I might as well explain that the new CCU will be in an extension which is Henley blocked and has the 80A switch fuse I mentioned. It will be interesting to see if the electrician chooses to use another switch fuse or rely on the MCB in the RCBO.

What do you mean by "the MCB in the RCBO?"

Do you understand why upfront RCD protection on a submain is a really bad idea?

Are you aware there is a maximum permitted lenght of tails between meter and the single point of disconnection which when operated disconnects all power to the property ? In many new installation this is an isolator fitted in the meter cabinet. An isolator and not a fuse or MCB or RCBO. The tails are protected by the DNO fuse in the cut out.

If you run long tails, from memory 5 metres is maximum, to the new CU then there should be a means to safely isolate them at the meter box.

The more you write the more obvious it is that you do need an electrician to do this installation for you.

Yes I do know this, what do you think a switched fuse means? Let me spell it out for you like this. http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-80a...v5IhOLc63so6prAu-_uDB-I0OoxaHiXiT4aAudW8P8HAQ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back