Kitchen wiring - which circuit is best option, dedicated radial or ring main?

That BS 1363 does not require sockets to be able to withstand more than 20A flowing in the circuit cable.

As such, there is no guarantee that one would not overheat if it were near the start of a 30/32A radial.
Why would the socket-outlet be affected by the current flowing in the supply cable, other than a slight reduction of the heat-sinking effect of that cable?

Sponsored Links
Yes, but I'm not aware of any suggestion that single sockets can only be used in ring finals, are you? :).
No, I'm not, but that is their raison d'etre.
Which "their" - single sockets or ring final circuits?
However I'm also not aware of any suggestion that in general accessories can be used on circuits with no regard taken of how much current is flowing in the cables. This has always been a niggling worry with many people over using grid switches on a 30/32A socket circuit, even when no more than 13A would ever go through the switch contacts.
Yes, it is a 'niggling worry' for some people, although not something that I personally loose any sleep over. It's not even as if much of the current which is not flowing through the switch contacts (or whatever) will even flow through any part of the accessory terminal - much of it will go straight from one conductor to the other.
and, if they want their test conditions to relate to the attached cable being 'fully loaded', they would presumably have to call for an "extra 18A" (in addition to the 14A test current through the plug), not 6A, wouldn't they?
You would think so, wouldn't you.
I do.
Just like you would think that they would always have required doubles to be able to handle 2x13A.
As you know, I think that as well.

Kind Regards, John

Just like you would think that they would always have required doubles to be able to handle 2x13A.
I can find nothing in the standard that states that they don't have to. There is only a temperature-rise test, performed at 14A + 6A, but I can't see anything that states that a 13A socket-outlet ceases to be a 13A socket-outlet when it is mounted on the same faceplate as another 13A socket-outlet.

Why would the socket-outlet be affected by the current flowing in the supply cable, other than a slight reduction of the heat-sinking effect of that cable?
Since we're talking about a temperature-rise, test, I would assume that is the very sort of potential 'effect' that causes the 14A test of a single socket to involve 20A in the supply cable. Rather than a 'slight reduction in heat-sinking effect'. I imagine that the 'heat sinking effect' might well become 'negative' if the supply cable is fairly heavily loaded wrt. its CCC.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can find nothing in the standard that states that they don't have to. There is only a temperature-rise test, performed at 14A + 6A, but I can't see anything that states that a 13A socket-outlet ceases to be a 13A socket-outlet when it is mounted on the same faceplate as another 13A socket-outlet.
That's probably true, but they could satisfy the temperature-rise test prescribed for when they are both on the faceplate without necessarily being able to safely carry 2 x 13A loads for long periods.

Kind Regards, John

Why would BS 1363 require the temperature rise test for single sockets to involve background current in the cable if it had no relevance?

That's the whole point.

There is no guarantee that a twin socket could pass 2x13A without suffering heat damage because they are not required to.

Why would BS 1363 require the temperature rise test for single sockets to involve background current in the cable if it had no relevance?
To create standardised conditions for the test. It has quite a small effect.

That's the whole point.

There is no guarantee that a twin socket could pass 2x13A without suffering heat damage because they are not required to.
True, but they do have to conform to all the other provisions of the standard as well.

To create standardised conditions for the test. It has quite a small effect.
... but presumably a large enough potential effect for them to feel it needs to be incorporated into the conditions of the test. There's no obvious reason why the conditions for testing single and double sockets have to be the same. As I've said, what I don't understand is why they don't require 32A in the cable (rather than 20A), as part of the conditions of temp-rise tests of both single and double sockets, given that it's very possible that they will be installed in "32A circuits".

Kind Regards, John

Which "their" - single sockets or ring final circuits?
Sorry - single/double is irrelevant. I meant that ring finals were the reason we got BS 1363 accessories in the first place.
Is that the case? I must say that I don't know about the historical chronology of these things. On the face of it, even if all that had existed had been 30A radials, there would still have been a theoretical 'need' for BS1363-like accessories (i.e. fused plugs and FCUs).

Kind Regards, John

"what I don't understand is why they don't require 32A in the cable (rather than 20A), as part of the conditions of temp-rise tests of both single and double sockets"

I suspect the reason was that 'they' were trying to simulate a likely condition, rather than the worst-case. By the time that 3kW loads became commonplace, and materials easily available that would enable twin 13A socket-outlets to withstand a full-current temperature rise test, the standard had been in place for so long that it would not have seemed worthwhile to change, given the small number of real-world problems caused by overheating.

I suspect the reason was that 'they' were trying to simulate a likely condition, rather than the worst-case. By the time that 3kW loads became commonplace, and materials easily available that would enable twin 13A socket-outlets to withstand a full-current temperature rise test, the standard had been in place for so long that it would not have seemed worthwhile to change, given the small number of real-world problems caused by overheating.
Possibly. Who knows - we can but speculate?!

Kind Regards, John

To create standardised conditions for the test.
So why not standardise on no background current at all, just that going through the socket and dummy plug?

It has quite a small effect.
Does anybody know what effect a background load of 18A would have? Or 49A?

Who can assure me that if I have 63A flowing in conductors joined at the terminals of a socket or FCU for several hours the accessory will not suffer heat damage?

Is that the case? I must say that I don't know about the historical chronology of these things.
Yup - when it was decided that 15A radials using 7/.029 would be turned into 30A rings by connecting the end of the radial back to the fuse box they realised they'd need fused plugs to replace the BS 546 jobbies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back