32mm packers with 28mm glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a uPVC door a couple of days ago and fitted it without any hassle. However when I came to place the panel and glass in it, I found that the packers were wider than the available space between the frame and the beading profile.

I tried and tried to clip the profile in place, which it would do when there were no packers or panel in place, but would not do when they were in place.

The packers are 32mm wide, the supplier confirmed they were the correct ones, but it is clearly not allowing the profile to clip into place.

I have some narrower packers and bridges left over from years ago, 26mm ones. They are ok, but even now I find that I cannot clip the profile in when the panel or glass is in place. I have forced it in place, I believe, in order to secure the door overnight.

I know it should be a tight fit, but even whacking it with a mallet does nothing.

I wonder if 28mm panels are correct as already I have found that the bottom uPVC panel is cut too small, allowing the panel to almost fall out when central, letting daylight in if rested on the lower edge of the opening. The supplier has cut another panel and is waiting for me to go and collect it - cheers chaps.... not.

Are 32mm packers the correct ones?
Is there a knack to getting the profile to fit? Should I warm the co extruded rubber?
Is it possible the panel and glass is too thick?

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Clip a bead in without any glass and measure the gap, it'll only be either 24 or 28mm but 99% of frames nowadays take 28mm.

As for the beads not locating, well packers do sometimes get in the way if they're too wide, can you post a photo of the end of a bead also a pic of the glass/panel in situ with the 32mm packers in place.

What make of profile is it?

Thanks for the reply.

I'll measure it up and post back with some pix. I'll be taking the panel out on the w/e to replace it with th correctly cut one, when i collect it from the shop. I'll measure the gap then.

I have not used any of the 32mm packers, I've used some old 26mm ones I had left in the shed as the 32mm would not fit at all.

No idea what the make is, but will try to find out.

I've added windows and doors before now, years ago, no problem. When i collect the panel, i'll get the shop to show me how they would fit it, in case there is a knack I've not got. ;)

Sponsored Links
Not got the pix yet, but the door is made by SwiftFrame.

http://www.swiftframe.co.uk/optionalchoices.html

...my profiles are just chamfered though, not ovolo or scotia.

Looking at the door again, I notice the glass has a label saying' label to be internal', stuck to the smooth side of the glass.

I thought the textured side always faced inside, thereby the smooth side with the label on it would be 'external'?

So it seems. Just got a reply from Glamorgan Glazing, the panel supplier, saying the same?

cheers

If you had lead design on the unit it would have to go on the clear side that means the lead would face inside the house, wont work :)

It does have a low e coating, it says on on the label, but the manufacturer said it wouldn't matter which side?

Was surprised to see it's Argon filled too. 4mm glass + 20mm gap + 4mm glass = 28mm it says.[/i]

Regarding the beading fitting, nobody to speak to when I went to the merchants today and the chap on the counter didn't know either.

I'll try warming the extrusion, see if that helps.

Ok, starting with a horizontal bead, you need to push down and in at 45 degrees, to help you see pull the end of the bead away from the corner and look at where its trying to go when you push on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back