Double glazing unit packers cut to width?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a double glazing unit made up to replace the standard glass in my timber back door. The unit is 16mm thickness in total.
I understand that packers should be the same width as the unit is thick, or a couple of mm wider, any wider than that and it becomes difficult to get the glass bead in.
Double glazing packers seem to come in a few sizes, but not in 16mm width.

So my question is, can packers be cut to width and still do the job properly? I see that various types of packers exist and some definitely look like they cannot be cut to width.

Any advice on this would be appreciated as it's my first attempt at fitting a double glazing unit. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Update for anyone asking the same question in the future. I called up a company that produces a product called
Broadfix packers and asked them if their packers could be cut to width for double glazing unts, they said yes,
so I'll be using them. Maybe it sounds like a silly question, but you don't know until you know. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back