3600 watt oven & 1250 watt microwave - which cabling?

Sponsored Links
Nope that wouldn't bother me. It's the oven over 3kw on a plug top that I wouldnt do.
If it's just the plug/socket that concerns you, then I can understand that view.

What would you say if it were fed from a 13A FCU (or a circuit protected by a hypothetical 13A MCB) with (now permitted!) 1mm² cable?

Kind Regards, John

Thats never really been the case, 13 amp plug tops are no good for 13 amps for long periods.
Well, experiences seem to vary. I've seen 3kW immersions (probably the 'worst possible' type of load) fed via plugs/sockets for years without any problems.

However, as you say, it seems that such is far from always the case - and, at least in my opinion, that is just plain wrong!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
What would you say if it were fed from a 13A FCU (or a circuit protected by a hypothetical 13A MCB) with (now permitted!) 1mm² cable?
Just the same in my opinion, I've come across so many burnt out spurs from 3kw immersions, never an oven though to be honest, I just wouldnt take the risk, not worth it for me.

Just the same in my opinion, I've come across so many burnt out spurs from 3kw immersions, never an oven though to be honest, I just wouldnt take the risk, not worth it for me.
I presume you mean 'burnt out' FCUs, not the spur (cable), presumably due to the fuse/holder (or maybe a 'loose connection')?

So, attempting to 'drill down' to what it actually is that concerns you, it sounds as if it's probably the 13A fuse (and holder), whether in a plug or an FCU is it? If so, I can understand your concern, given the number of people who seem to have that problem - albeit it's usually the high loading of a double socket (e.g. with WM + dryer) that gets blamed.

Kind Regards, John

I presume you mean 'burnt out' FCUs, not the spur (cable), presumably due to the fuse/holder (or maybe a 'loose connection')?

So, attempting to 'drill down' to what it actually is that concerns you, it sounds as if it's probably the 13A fuse (and holder), whether in a plug or an FCU is it? If so, I can understand your concern, given the number of people who seem to have that problem - albeit it's usually the high loading of a double socket (e.g. with WM + dryer) that gets blamed.

Kind Regards, John
Yes FCU sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back