36V SDS Drills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a big CCTV install coming up and need to invest in a good cordless SDS drill.

The two i've been looking at are the Bosch 36V GBH and the Hilti TE6

I notice that the Ni-Cad version of Hilti TE6 can be picked up for a reasonable price second hand.

Does anyone have experience of either drill? Is it worth forking out £400 for the bosch?

I notice on ebay that people are selling the bosch with a "free" naked 18V combi bosch which I could possibly sell.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The new Bosch GBH 36 V-LI looks a nice drill. I would personally favour Bosch over Makita & the others. You pay a bit more for Bosch, but it is worth it in the long run. I have the Bosch 4/5Kg corded SDS+ drill and its mainly be used for chiselling concrete and still is like new after six years or so.

Sponsored Links
Hilti TE6A for me! but I'm biased - used to work for them 15yrs.
I believe you can drill more holes per charge than the others.Plus you can get the dummy battery belt attachment to reduce weight.

Cheers Guys

I've ended up going for a TE6-A second hand.

May end up having to get the battery rebuilt though but i paid a good price for the drill.

OK good decision.

~I have had the 6a and own a 7a. Am selling the li ion batteries as they don't have as much torque as nicad or nimh, whatever anyone tells you.

For work which involves power and effort (saws angle grinders sds drills) stay with the old technology.

For light use such as screwdrivers, low power pistol drills go for li ion.

Others will disagree veheermently.

I only speak from bitter experience.

Well, i received my TE6-A today and am well impressed.

Much lighter than I imagined it would be too, am tempted to get a new battery from ebay while they are still avaliable.

don't worry they'll be available for years it's the best drill for the weight. the 7a is too long too heavy and tires out batteries too quick. if you need more power than the 6a you gets your chorded hilti out I have the te24 and the te72 to choose from both of which are take control of the wall and punch a 25mm tungsten drill throough it in less than 30 seconds, and you know that they haven't taken the skin of their teeths worth of their long life off in the process.

don't worry they'll be available for years it's the best drill for the weight. the 7a is too long too heavy and tires out batteries too quick. if you need more power than the 6a you gets your chorded hilti out I have the te24 and the te72 to choose from both of which are take control of the wall and punch a 25mm tungsten drill throough it in less than 30 seconds, and you know that they haven't taken the skin of their teeths worth of their long life off in the process.

Got myself a TE56-ATC for those jobs that need a little more clought.

Might get that battery belt adapter for the TE6

Paul - I believe the 7a is better for big diameter drilling, whereas the TE6a is better for installations that disinfo bought it for. Put the two together and the Te6a is quicker drilling 12mm holes!!

Compare the two with a 18mm - 22mm bit and the 7a is quicker - reckon it's down to the gearing???

The li-ion battery shouldn't affect the torque at all - as the ampage and voltage x together gives the watt hourage : i think the 7a lion is a 3.3 Ah 36v so this should at least give longer drilling performance???

The li-ion battery shouldn't affect the torque at all - as the ampage and voltage x together gives the watt hourage : i think the 7a lion is a 3.3 Ah 36v so this should at least give longer drilling performance???

thats what I was wondering.

I supposed nickel battery voltage decay may mean you get more voltage after a charge than the flatter voltage decay of lithium?

Just bought some dewalt 18v lithiums, if anything they seem better than my 2 year old ni-cads when drilling 25mm spades through joist.

Was pondering a 36v SDS- but I understand they don't have significantly more power than the 18v, just longer battery life- so might grab a 18v instead and keep all my tools using the same battery packs.

thats what I was wondering.

I supposed nickel battery voltage decay may mean you get more voltage after a charge than the flatter voltage decay of lithium?

Just bought some dewalt 18v lithiums, if anything they seem better than my 2 year old ni-cads when drilling 25mm spades through joist.

Was pondering a 36v SDS- but I understand they don't have significantly more power than the 18v, just longer battery life- so might grab a 18v instead and keep all my tools using the same battery packs.

Well let me tell you, my TE6-A has considerably more power than my 18V hilti cordless, its an awesome drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back