3G 2 Way Switch to 2G 2 Way Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have in my hallway a 3 gang 2 way switch the left switch is for the hallway light, the right hand switch powers an outside light and the middle switch is now defunct as it once powered a light in my former car port and has been defunct for many years.

My question is how do I wire a 2 gang 2 way switch from the original 70's wiring thereby tidying things up and there is no further need for 3 switches?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A photo of the wiring would help anyone help you here. But from what you have said it just seems that if you buy a 2 gang and just connect the wires to the hall and o/s light the same as they are in the existing switch and make off the spare wires into a 2 way piece of 5a chock block it would be job done

Well, You just transfer the wires to the corresponding terminals of the new switch, if there are still wires in the centre switch put each of these into a separate connector block and tuck out of the way.

Don't forget to turn off the power.

Can you post a picture of the old switch before you disconnect any wires and the new switch.
The terminals may be differently marked and one of the new switches may be upside down in relation to the other which may confuse you.

.........and an important connection (eg a live feed) may be routed through the (now redundant) switch. Disconnecting that may also disonnect other circuits.

I agree with the above. Take a good picture of the back of the switch and post in on here. I'm sure you'll get some constructve comments once we've sobered up.

Anyway, my daughter has just beeten me on the Wii on boxing and tennis so i gotta go and practise!

Sponsored Links
It will be helpful if you could upload photos of the cable cores and terminals.
It would also help you greatly, if you had a multimeter that you can use to test for continuity and voltage.

Thanks Everyone for replying to my query.
I will post a photo here in the morning when the light is better (no pun intended).

There are no photos in your post
That's because he didnt follow the instructions. For next tuime, here's how to do it (the info is in the FORUM INFORMATION section) //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

as its Xmas, here is one of them.

OK Turn off the power. Use a multimemter to confirm the power is off (see safe isolation procedures in the WIKI)

First off. The rred wire that is in the middle top (L2) connection. Put that in a piece of inslated "choc block". Its not needed any more.

Remove the red link at the bottom right that goes between the COMMON and L2 terminals. Put the red wire that was in the middle COMMON terminal into the right hand L2 terminal.

Turn the power on and check all the circuits still work.

Now all you have to do is to turn the power off and move the wires over onto the new switch.

I see the picture.

Remove the wire from the top L2 and put in a connector block.

The remove the wire from the bottom common, and also remove the link from here and the righthand botom L2.
Discard the link and put the wire in the righthand bottom L2.

Transfer this wiring to the new 2 gang switch. If it is a brand new switch you will probably have to use the common and L1 terminals.
This will depend on the make of the new switch.

Out of interest, was the wiki noticeable to you? And if you did look at it, was it of any help?

Thank you all very much for your very helpful input to my query ref: 3G to 2G 2-way switch wiring. It worked like a dream.
As to the Wiki, whatever that is, I haven't seen one appear here, unless I am not looking at the right place. I am new to this website/forums.
Best Regards and wishes for 2012

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back