3kW generator to internal socket

Indeed it is, but our house isn't one of them.
And I strongly suspect that few "mass produced" houses come even close.
A few years ago my mother was looking at a new build (just a small development). When looking around, the guy having them built was pointing out things like the insulation - I was really tempted to point out "minimum you can get away with for building regs".

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The insulation regs aren't bad, to be fair, but the air tightness regs are shocking. They aren't directly comparable, but the Uk regs for air tightness are something like 16 times worse (allow 16x more draughts) than a passivhaus..

..and you'd be lucky if as much as 10% of the houses on a site have had a blower test done

Unfortunately my understanding is that BT openreach are trying to push everyone onto "digital voice" delivered over broadband, even if their broadband service is FTTC.
Openreach intends to stop handling voice altogether whether analogue or digital. They want to just handle data. The Digital Voice offered by BT retail will be an IP service connecting to BT telephone systems, not to Openreach exchanges. The same as I have, except I've rolled my own with an IP handset and a SIPGate account giving a local number.

Sponsored Links
You do not mention the main switches in the consumer unit,

If the MCB for the kitchen ring was still closed ( ON ) then the widow maker would be connected in the consumer unit to the Live and Neutral bus bars and hence to the incoming supply ( assuming the main switches are not turned OFF ) This would create a hazard for engineers working on the fault in the network that caused the loss of power.
It would also power all their neighbours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back