3kw oven installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my single oven with a new one. The old one ran off a plug - the new one has a rating of 3kw - the instructions say conection must be via a cooker control circuit 2.5mm flex fuse 15 amp min 20 amp max. Also specify the appliance must be isolated from the mains with a min 3m all-pole contact separation! Confusingly the instructions actually show a picture of the oven being plugged into an ordinary plug socket.
Can anyone tell me - in plain english - what I need to do / or get done to connect up this oven
?:

Sponsored Links
3kW can run from a UK plug and socket (which incorporates a 13A fuse).

Some unfortunate people live in countries without our wonderful ring main and fused plug system, and need a separate fused circuit.

Technically you can, but you're right on the limit (if you're using the oven at its max). Especially if your voltage is nearer 230 than 240v. It would be a simple job to replace the the plug with a fused spur wired directly in. Plug tops have a tendency to overheat. Ideally though, do as the instructions say and give it its own radial circuit with a 16A fuse and 45A cooker switch.

Still a bit confused - the instructions appear to be for the UK - does this require some additional local components, or does it need new wiring back to where the supply comes in?

Sponsored Links
The 2 previous posts give you the answer. You can wire it to a standard plug or you can wire it into it's own radial from the consumer unit.

Either way it will work so the choice is yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back