Installing a 3kw Built in oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just bought a new Smeg single built in 3kw oven and it came with a cable attached but no plug so I've attached a standard 13amp plug to it as recommended in the manual. 3000/240=12.5 so I assume it will be ok.

This existing oven is hard wired direct to a dedicated socket on the wall above the gas hob.

My question is can I remove the cable from the old oven and simply attached a 13amp socket to it.?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
3000/230 = 13.04Amps.

If the manual says it should be fitted with 13Amp plug then it is illegal to sell you a product which does not already have the plug connected.

I suspect they are referring to a European 16Amp plug and that this oven should be connected directly to the appropriately rated cooker circuit - normally via a cooker connection unit and then a cooker connection switch.

Best you speak to the Smeg UK to ascertain the correct set up.

3000/240=12.5 so I assume it will be ok.
If it is rated as 3 kW at 240 volts then it is 12.5 amps

However if it is rated 3 kW at 230 volts then at 240 volts it would be be 3.13 kW (3000 times 240/230) and the current 13.4 amps.

Running a 13 amp plug and socket at 13 amps for prolonged periods is not a good idea. ( some firms have in the past set limits on "13 amp" plugs in their premises at 9 or 10 amps due to the failures caused by prolonged loads at 13 amps )
Good quality plugs and sockets with clean contacts and tight fuse holders will last a few years but lower cost inferior quality ones will fail, sometimes in much less than a year. The damage to the socket from over heating from the plugs pins will mean the socket has to be replaced as well.

This existing oven is hard wired direct to a dedicated socket on the wall above the gas hob.

Which is the best way to install anything that is fixed and more than 1 kW

My question is can I remove the cable from the old oven and simply attached a 13amp socket to it.?
The answer depends on the rating of the old oven and whether you are prepared to maybe have repairs to the socket sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the replies.

On the sticker located behind the oven door, it reads 220-240 V ~ 50/60Hz 3.0KW.

If it needs hardwiring, I think it's best to get a qualified electrician in to be safe.

Sponsored Links
3000/230 = 13.04Amps.

If the manual says it should be fitted with 13Amp plug then it is illegal to sell you a product which does not already have the plug connected.

Best you speak to the Smeg UK to ascertain the correct set up.

On the Smeg website, it states "13 Amp Power Supply Required"

http://www.smeguk.com/product/sc485n-8/

Does this mean it would be ok with a 13 amp plug?

Thanks.

This is the legislation that covers the requirement for plugs to be fitted to uk electrical goods is below:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/regulation/12/made

As I said earlier manufacturers tend to make one set of instructions for the whole of europe - in this case to cover themselves (and whichever country they are in) they include in the installer instructions the options for both fixed and plug assembly.

Since they have failed to supply a plug in compliance with the above regulations then you fall back to the fixed option.

Again speak to the manufacturer to clarify but as Bernard state earlier this oven would benefit from a fixed wire connection - since you are right on the limits for a plug - and the circuit should also be protected at the main board by a 16Amp MCB.

Many thanks.

I've just spoken to the electrician and he quoted £50 to £60 to hardwire my oven which seems reasonable compared to the £95 that Currys quoted.

I have two ovens, one is rated at 3KW and I think the other which is a combined oven / microwave at 3.1KW. They both came with 13A plug moulded on.

As there was a 16A MCB fed supply in place for each, I was going to cut the plugs off and wire them directly to their respective isolator. However in the end I connected a single socket to each supply and plugged the ovens in. I was glad afterwards as in the six years they have been installed the combi oven has burned out 3 sets of elements and it was easy to unplug and remove it for service. Both sets of plugs & sockets are still as new without any visible deterioration. After all, the load is not continuous, after a few minutes warm up, the elements cycles on and off under thermostatic control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back