Built-in Oven Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just bought a double built-in oven to replace my old single built in oven.
The new oven will be hard wired directly into the exising 6mm oven circuit and plated over so no problems there.

Question 1... the old single is oven is plugged (13amp) and was connected directly into the oven circuit via a 13am socket... can this now be plugged directly into a ring circuit elsewhere (2.5mm) or must it be re-connected to a separate 6mm circuit ???(plug and all). I am gussing that this has no more than a 3.2kw output

Question 2. I found it a bit odd that the single oven runs on 2.5mm cable (with a fused plug) directly into the 6mm oven supply.
Is this normal ??

Sponsored Links
Question 1... the old single is oven is plugged (13amp) and was connected directly into the oven circuit via a 13am socket... can this now be plugged directly into a ring circuit elsewhere (2.5mm) or must it be re-connected to a separate 6mm circuit ???(plug and all). I am gussing that this has no more than a 3.2kw output
I'm a bit confused here. If you already have a 6mm cooker circuit then i'd be inclined to use that to supply your new cooker. if the old oven was plugged into the ring and caused you no problems (nusiance tripping etc) then plug it back in. You say the new oven is 3.2kW? Loads over 2kW are advised to have their own circuit.

Question 2. I found it a bit odd that the single oven runs on 2.5mm cable (with a fused plug) directly into the 6mm oven supply.
Is this normal ??
Yes.

3kW @ 230v is ~ 13A. The plug will contain a 13A fuse.

Hi, thanks for your response... you are correct that the new double oven will be hard wired into the existing 6mm oven circuit. (with the existing 3 pin socket replaced with a plate).

It is the fact that the old single oven was also connected directly to this supply (via a fused plug) made me wonder whether it could be subsequently connected to the ring main rather than to another 6mm feed. Am I right to auume that because the single oven has a fused plug connection to the power then it can be just plugged into a ring main elsewhere ??

Am I right to auume that because the single oven has a fused plug connection to the power then it can be just plugged into a ring main elsewhere ??
Yes. It can. Why? Do you want two ovens? If it were me, and I wanted to take this route, I'd keep a 13 amp socket on the end of the cooker circuit for this oven, then fit a new outlet plate for the second new oven (BUT this assumes there is nothing else on the cooker circuit such as an electric hob)

Sponsored Links
Audit your ring and decide if a 13 amp or near load on for 30-180 minutes (the oven in use) will screw up things elsewhere.

If you are running kettles, toasters, washing machines and tumble driers there might be a situation where the circuit will overload.

The last owners who supplied a 6mm cable direct to a 13 amp socket where designing the kitchen so the oven wasn't on the ring load, you need to ask yourself why :)

If you do have a over load situation then can you assume that at no point will you have the oven on full tilt + appliances> greater than the circuit capacity.

You should check the 6mm cable back end and confirm the fuse rating is suitable for the new double oven ?

Maybe AA rated double oven connected via a cooker switch with socket outlet + the socket being used for the old oven may be okay.

Audit your ring and decide if a 13 amp or near load on for 30-180 minutes (the oven in use) will screw up things elsewhere.
It wont be at full load for 180 minutes! Unless the door is open! Ovens have stats...

The last owners who supplied a 6mm cable direct to a 13 amp socket where designing the kitchen so the oven wasn't on the ring load, you need to ask yourself why :)
In case someone wanted to fit a bigger oven in future? I cant see why they'd put a 6mm cable to a 13 amp socket. Waste of copper. Unless it was for future provision, such as now....

Maybe AA rated double oven connected via a cooker switch with socket outlet + the socket being used for the old oven may be okay.
Whats the energy rating of the oven got to do with the price of fish? We're talking power consumption here, not energy. Energy rating is of no concern to us....

It wont be at full load for 180 minutes! Unless the door is open! Ovens have stats

And there was me thinking of the xmas shuffle. Open shut open shut repeat for 3 hours.
I do a serious amount of cooking and I can assure you it's likely that a 13 amp rated oven (unlikely to be fan assist) will draw a decent load. Without getting an4l and checking diverse areas of the net for detail would you not accept that "a single older generation oven used at high temp for a continuous period" will take a 25-30% chunk of a 32 amp ring capacity ?

In case someone wanted to fit a bigger oven in future? I cant see why they'd put a 6mm cable to a 13 amp socket. Waste of copper. Unless it was for future provision, such as now....

Well done Sherlock, exactly my deduction. So why not check the fuse rating at the board and see what the fuse rating is and hence if the cooker outlet socket integrated to the cooker circuit isolation will cope with Oven A and Oven B- keeping load off the kitchen :rolleyes:

Whats the energy rating of the oven got to do with the price of fish? We're talking power consumption here, not energy. Energy rating is of no concern to us....

Will again you pull me up on slightly less than factual remarks. I'm in processes of specking high end kit for a few kitchens and guess what.

Some green eco energy units get rated at AA because they work in a way that saves power thus consumption.

Again my Dear Watson........ I fear you should consider the possibility that it is prudent to add the values of consumption of both the new and old units to calculate if they could run of the single 6mm supply circuit.

Do you have a problem with that ? Or me ? or has the cat died ?

thanks for all your help.... as it happens I found a 13amp socket with an isolator switch running it's own feed, so will just plug the old single oven into there and link the new double oven via 6mm to the cooker socket... and yes I am having 2 ovens 'cos I'm greedy !!! :p cheers ! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back