Help needed for seperate oven and hob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am rebuilding kitchen and am removing an old oven that was connected to its own cooker point.
I want to install a seperate oven and hob. The old cooker unit plate is 2.5 metres away from the new cooker and just under 2 metres from the hob.
I am going to wire the hob to the cooker unit plate using 6mm wire this is no problem.
How do I connect the oven. The oven rating is 3.5kw. I know that I cannot plug this in as it is above 3000watts. Can i run a 2.5mm heat resistant cable from the ring circuit (there is a single plug socket underneath the oven) into 20amp dp switch then using the same wire, connect to a terminal outlet box, then into the back of the cooker.

Sponsored Links
I would say no, because the 2.5mm² cable will be too small to be properly protected by the socket circuit fuse/MCB, and you have no overload protection in your scheme.

Instead of the 20A switch, use a small enclosure with a 15A or 20A MCB in it.

You are aware of Part P of the Building Regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back