3mm insulation boards for electric ufh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i'm getting some help in laying new tiles in our kitchen with electric underfloor heating.

i've found online a 3mm 'warmpro' XPS insulation board and wondered if anyone has any experience of using this?

the reason i ask is that not a lot of tilers i've had round have heard of a board this thin and most shops online seem to start from 6mm.

any experience or thoughts?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd not bother with 3mm insulation.
I used 10mm under the flooring I put down and now I wish I'd put down twice the amount!

You need as much insulation as possible. You will recupe the cost in electricity savings. Make sure it goes to the edge of the room. Using Electric underfloor heating does tie you to a set cupboard plan - once down no fixed units can placed over it.
Measure the available floor area for the heating. Take the @accurate' plan to the suppliers; I learnt to buy 0.5SqM less than they say is right for the available floor area. If the floor themostat is direct in the floor compound put 2 in but only use one for now.

We used the 6mm and once its down on the adhesive it’s rock hard. We got it off e-bay from a place in Whalley.

I can’t imagine either the 3 or 6mm giving much benefit in the way of insulation but it’s very nice when it’s on (y)

3576613B-9EDC-4AE7-BE76-8DB7CB88BFA4.jpeg

D5C552E7-125D-4C44-A71E-D7FF0D72E648.jpeg

thanks both

can i also check please the best way to secure boards to the ground? does it have to be done with adhesive?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back