Insulating Electric Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have electric undefloor heating in my conservatory under a laminate floor. My wife now wants me to replace this with Karndean going through to my kitchen.

The heating mat current sits on an insulating foam underlay but as the Karndean will required a screeded floor this is not suitable. I don't think I have enough height available to use even a 6mm marmox board under the screed as this will mean the conservatory and kitchen floors will be different heights, so are there any 3mm thick products available or has anyone got any other ideas?

Was thinking of a heat reflective paint or foil backed 3mm ply if either such a thing exists.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are no magic products in insulation. Thickness= efficiency.

3 mm of something is next to useless and still equals large amounts of cash going into the soil.

Think you need to calculate marital harmony against electricity bill.

Why not give F-Ball a call with regards their Isolator product?

http://www.f-ball.co.uk/product_detail.asp?product=Isolator&catID=damp

If the level is ok above the UFH mat then you may well be able to install the Isolator and adhere the Karndean direct to the isolator (I believe)

As far as efficiency, I would have thought that the laminate would actually be warmer and hold heat better and also be lower maintenance than Karndean, make sure the Karndean is installed with the correct UFH adhesives if you do end up going that route. If it's all down to colour etc, could you consider replacing the laminate with a different design?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back