Underfloor heating and extra height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

We're currently re-fitting the kitchen and I want to install underfloor heating.

The current floor is concrete but i'm worried about the additional height acheived by all the required parts.

Insulation board adhesive, 6mm of insulation board, 3mm thickness of heat mat, then the tile adhesive, which obviously has to cover the mat and say another 1mm on top then the tile itself.

The existing floor was 2mm tiles (those nice brown ones) and then lino so only about 4 - 5mm

I dont want to be left with a step into the kitchen, how can this be overcome?

Sponsored Links
The current floor is concrete...

I've recently started the same job, thought I had concrete too, but once I lifted the floor tiles I found my concrete floor was just rubble and soil. Was about an inch max of screed on top of this lot. Have ended up digging the floor down about a foot and fixing mouldy timbers and all sorts of things.
Gonna end up with an insulated new concrete slab with hot water pipes running through it. More work, more money but a better end result.
You might want to dig out a few inches of the concrete and make sure it's sound before proceeding.

but to answer your original question......

you are going to end up with a step into the kitchen.

There is wood burried in the concrete where the walls used to be, I did wonder if the concrete thats there is superficial.

I'll get my drill out tomorrow and do some investigating.

Sponsored Links
I don't know where you get the 6 mm from ( maybe this is a kit and the vendor is trying to minimise the height to make it more attactive ? ) but that really is far too lttle and you will lose a lot of heat. I would suggest 30 mm as an absolute minimum and that really ought to be 50 or more .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back