3mm tile spacers on a wall tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to fully tile our bathroom walls with ceramic 500mm x 200mm wall tiles.

Our walls are 2400mm high. Our bath is 600mm high and our raised shower tray is 200mm high.

From reading other threads, the general opinion seems to say that 2mm tile spacers are the correct size for our chosen wall tiles.

During the setting out, I have worked out that if I make the second row of tiles start at 188mm from the floor. I will get a nice almost full tile around the bath and also around our shower tray.

However, if I use the recommend 2mm tile spacers, I could end up needing a tiny slither of a tile at ceiling level. However if I was to use 3mm tile spacers instead, I reckon the extra 11mm gained, will definitely mean I won't end up with a slither.

Have any of you experienced tilers ever been in situations like this before?

Will using 3mm tile spacers mean our tiles will look rubbish or will we hardly notice? I am also worried that the wider gap between the tiles could increase the chances or water getting through the grout into the plaster boards (though I will definitely be tanking the walls inside our shower enclosure).

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The last thing you want is a slither tile, it makes the overall effect of the tiling look a little naff!
So you could consider you setting out, even though it would seem having a full time on the bottom row makes life easier, it maybe wise to set out with the alternative that gives you the half tile cut.

But with regards to 2mm vs 3mm, if 3mm works there is no set rules that you must use 2mm spacers on any type of wall tile! Unless they are part of a sheeted format, such as mosaics and border features etc.. and they have preset 2mm lines.

The last thing you want is a slither tile, it makes the overall effect of the tiling look a little naff!
So you could consider you setting out, even though it would seem having a full tile on the bottom row makes life easier, it maybe wise to set out with the alternative that gives you the half tile cut.

But with regards to 2mm vs 3mm, if 3mm works there is no set rules that you must use 2mm spacers on any type of wall tile! Unless they are part of a sheeted format, such as mosaics and border features etc.. and they have preset 2mm lines.

Thanks for replying, especially about using 3mm spacers.

I've experimented with lots of different tiling scenarios. If I use half tiles (quarter tiles, slithers etc) at floor level. I always end up with half tile (or less) around the bath, the shower tray and at ceiling level. As long as my calculations are accurate, the 3mm tile spacers should work out really well. (2mm space spacers may also work, but it'll be much more chance of a gap between the last tile and the ceiling).

I think my next step will be to draw a level line all the way around the bathroom and recheck my calculations aren't affected by the or ceiling not being perfectly level everywhere. (It should be very good though, because I leveled it with cross battens and plastic shims :) //www.diynot.com/forums/plaste...a-bathroom-ceiling-with-cross-battens.381614/ )

Cheers

Hi,
First and foremost, tile and grout are not waterproof. All tiles and grout will hold water to varying degrees.
Prior to even starting the tiling you need to ensure that you have used a tanking (waterproofing) system over the plasterboard. Once the tiles have been laid you should always, in my opinion use a sealer for tiles and grout. Depending on what tiles you are using will depend on how often you seal the tiles and grout.
The last thing you want when tiling is a tiny sliver cut. Not only does this look amateurish but hard to cut and apply. I would suggest that you adjust the grout line to 3mm as this will have a much better finish.
I hope this helps? Ian@ JRHConstruction

Sponsored Links
Prior to even starting the tiling you need to ensure that you have used a tanking (waterproofing) system over the plasterboard. Once the tiles have been laid you should always, in my opinion use a sealer for tiles and grout.

I will definitely be tanking the walls under the tiles in the shower area. You also mention sealing the tiles and grout with a sealer. This sounds like a brilliant idea, but I've never heard of it before. What exactly is involved? Is it just something you paint or spray over the tiles and grout. Would you recommend sealing every tile in the bathroom or just the ones in the shower area (I intend fitting a ceiling extractor fan, if that has any bearing on your answer). Thanks

Hi,
Tile sealer can be bought from any tile stockists or do-it-yourself places. It's simply diluted with water and applied directly to the tiles and grout. Some people will argue it's not necessary but having that extra piece of mind for £20 is definitely worth it.
It wouldn't hurt sealing all the tiles but generally the ones within the shower area should be done regularly.
An extractor fan is also a great idea as any moisture within the bathroom needs to be removed to prevent mould. I always suggest using an extractor fan which is designed for a larger bathroom and one you can programme. An extractor fan should run for at least 15-20 minutes after you shower not just while you're showering.

Hi,
Tile sealer can be bought from any tile stockists or do-it-yourself places. It's simply diluted with water and applied directly to the tiles and grout. Some people will argue it's not necessary but having that extra piece of mind for £20 is definitely worth it.
It wouldn't hurt sealing all the tiles but generally the ones within the shower area should be done regularly.
An extractor fan is also a great idea as any moisture within the bathroom needs to be removed to prevent mould. I always suggest using an extractor fan which is designed for a larger bathroom and one you can programme. An extractor fan should run for at least 15-20 minutes after you shower not just while you're showering.

I will definitely be sealing the tiles and grout then, cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back