3ph to Single Phase

I couldn't agree more... Which is precisely why the entertainment sector never fell into the trap of adopting the terrible design of 13A connectors as a standard where they are avoidable.

Indeed. although I've lost count of the number of times that "Electricians" have told me that I MUST remove those out-of-date & illegal (?!) 15A plugs from my tungstem lighting kit and replace them with "modern" 13A plugs!

Also, apparently, a 15A rubber plug to 15A rubber trailing socket extension lead made from 1.5mm^2 H07 TRS is "dangerous" and must not be used!

Sponsored Links
I was thinking more about a council employing an electrician who would split the ring the way he did. I wonder what he was thinking. Did you ask him?

I was thinking more about a council employing an electrician who would split the ring the way he did. I wonder what he was thinking. Did you ask him?
That was 1973, I was 18 (and not treated as one of the clique). AlthoughI knew how to wire a ringmain, sadly I was not in a position to question a professional electrician. However when I found the 15A socket powering 8KW I did raise it with the manager and I also knew the borough engineer so mentioned it to him too.

Ironically there was an isolator in the intake room for visiting shows to get power from, it was the electricians job to connect in but at the end of the show it was my job to disconnect as none of the other PT crew were prepared to do it..

Indeed. although I've lost count of the number of times that "Electricians" have told me that I MUST remove those out-of-date & illegal (?!) 15A plugs from my tungstem lighting kit and replace them with "modern" 13A plugs!

Also, apparently, a 15A rubber plug to 15A rubber trailing socket extension lead made from 1.5mm^2 H07 TRS is "dangerous" and must not be used!
I've had this time and time again in schools. One even went to the trouble of removing the 5A BS546 Duraplug/Permaplug and replacing with Dail BS1363 (all with 13A plug of course) and reduced the length of the 1mm² extention leads to unusable (all BS546 circuits on B6 MCB). I was called in the change the fixed sockets. I expressed my disgust to the school at the appalling service from a county wide school approved electrical company, it was taken up with their 2 bodies and the county legal team, not only were they called back to reverse their action they were also made to replace their PVC replacement leads (they had shortened HO5/HO7 cables then reinstated length with PVC) and to bring their tower back to re-hang the extention leads and lights and pay for my 2 visits.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back