new build 3 phase installation numbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

in the next 24 months we will be moving building.
The current wood workshop has 3 x 3 phase equipment
Another has a single 3ph supply
a third has no 3ph but does have a 30A single phase socket
The rooms also have a reasonable ring main of 13A sockets.

Without going nuts, and increasing costs too much, I assume that in a new build it is relatively easier to double the number of 3 phase sockets/supplies in comparison to later having an extra supply retro fitted?

Obviously this depends on supply but there is a whack great substation next door to the site.

what's the sensible mix of "future proofing" v OTT provision?

Sponsored Links
The several woodwork (scenery) workshops I have worked in have always had a dedicated three-phase circuit for each three-phase machine, connected via a local isolator either hard-wired or via a suitable industrial connector.

The feed to the three-phase circuits was via a contactor with stop/start buttons and linked to a number of emergency stop buttons distributed around the room.

Assuming that the wiring is in surface mounted conduit or trunking, adding additional 3-phase circuits & outlets should be fairly easy provided that there is capacity in the distribution board, so the key is to install a three phase distribution board with enough additional capacity to cover any future requirements.

If you are having a new incoming supply provided then it makes sense to size it to allow for additional loads, bearing in mind the possible significant costs if the substation needs an upgrade.

Cheers
My thoughts as well.
The estates department where we are charge ridiculous amounts for any new work, hence the idea to build in extra capacity now rather than pay almost the same for a single extra later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back