Upgrade to 3 phase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The local Church Hall has a single phase installation but we keep getting a bit near the mark on load, the last show the AmDram put on peaked at 103A.
I have made a guess the supply is 100A and suggested upgrading to 3 phase which the church have readily pursued.
A price has been quoted for the new feed for which I think I understand the DNO have made a visit [but I must say the 'caretaker' keeps describing him as 'electrician'] and digging has been mentioned.
While there today I had a look at the installation and I see a 3ph head with 1ph meter.

What are the chances there is already a 3ph feed in place?

Sponsored Links
if the Amdram load is related to stage lighting, they might consider moving over to LEDs and the load will drop greatly. Perhaps they own or hire old lamps.

You can get LEDs to fit in some old lamps, but they'll need new dimmers.

Old stage lamps litter the market as people are dumping them.

An old church hall may well have a 3-phase supply. There used to be a special tariff for "places of worship" and many of them used electric heating at times. Post some photos of the service head please.

If the head is 3 phase there's a very good chance. Maybe the dno need to replace the head then the meter operator needs to replace the meter.

We have exactly that situation, a three phase head with a single phase meter. I know all three phases are live because they checked them all when they replaced the iron age cutout with a modern plastic one.

if the Amdram load is related to stage lighting, they might consider moving over to LEDs and the load will drop greatly. Perhaps they own or hire old lamps.

You can get LEDs to fit in some old lamps, but they'll need new dimmers.

Old stage lamps litter the market as people are dumping them.
Oh absolutely yes but the cost implication of changing over to LED is way outside the available funds of the small group. Having said that their total load is only 7KW.

An old church hall may well have a 3-phase supply. There used to be a special tariff for "places of worship" and many of them used electric heating at times. Post some photos of the service head please.

Attachments

• 20180216_143713[1].jpg
    20180216_143713[1].jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 207
Sponsored Links
What are the ongoing cost implications of a 3ph supply?

What are the ongoing cost implications of a 3ph supply?
As I have said a number of times before, as far as domestic supplies and my supplier (E.ON) are concerned, there are no cost-implications - standing charge is the same for single-phase and 3-phase, and identical tariffs (at identical prices) are available for both types of supply.

What happens with church halls, and other suppliers, I have no idea!

Kind Regards, John

certainly looks like it was 3-ph

you can even see the old-colour phase identifier disks, presumably used for the original meter.

As I have said a number of times before, as far as domestic supplies and my supplier (E.ON) are concerned, there are no cost-implications - standing charge is the same for single-phase and 3-phase, and identical tariffs (at identical prices) are available for both types of supply.

What happens with church halls, and other suppliers, I have no idea!

Kind Regards, John
That's good to hear.

certainly looks like it was 3-ph

you can even see the old-colour phase identifier disks, presumably used for the original meter.
The cable outlets have never been broken out so this head has never been used for 3ph & I assume, like you, that there was previously a 3ph supply there on an old head.

Having said that their total load is only 7KW.
So where did the other 16.7kW come from?

The cable outlets have never been broken out so this head has never been used for 3ph & I assume, like you, that there was previously a 3ph supply there on an old head.
Possibly.

Or maybe they thought that when they turned up to replace the old cast-iron cut-out, and CBA to go back out to the van when they found it wasn't.

There is only the one way to find out. Or two, if you trust old records.

I wasn't suggesting there was, just curious about "peaked at 103A" vs "their total load is only 7KW"....

You often see that colour combination on pylons.
Interesting. I must say that it's not a set of colours I have personally ever seen used for phase identification, but my experience of all things 3-phase is pretty limited, so that doesn't prove a lot.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back