3rd time lucky.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished plumbing in new pipework for a bathroom and 1 leek on the t-piece,

redone the joint with new pipe and new t-piece everythings fine then 2hours later same place again leaked!!!

redone once again 3rd time no leaks as yet 5 hrs later (fingers crossed)

the house has recently just had new central heating with worcester boiler and new water mains so pressures much higher. could this affect the new joints in the bathroom or just a case of bad luck.....

Sponsored Links
Hi Paul,

the house has recently just had new central heating with worcester boiler and new water mains so pressures much higher. could this affect the new joints in the bathroom or just a case of bad luck.....

Obviously, higher water pressures are less forgiving where imperfect joints are concerned. A classic example is where an open heating system is converted to a sealed, pressurised one: it's almost certain that a leak will appear somewhere that was previously ok at lower pressures.

Yes, it could be bad luck, but it's more likely to be a case of technique. Are these soldered joints? If so, have you managed to get the pipes 100% dry before trying again? There's some great advice in the tips section here, specificially part 2: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134553

If you're talking compression or push-fit, then it's possible one of the pipes is deeply scored or slightly mis-shapen.

Sorry if you know all this already ;)

Tell us more...

yep they are all endfeed joints, just found it strange as every other joint has been fine. Good job its only my sisters house :D

The make of endfeed used is flowflex from screwfix, dont know if anyone has experience with these fittings???

Sponsored Links
New olives on either new or old pipe can or cannot seal. Brass olives are less forgiving than copper ones - less mallable.

From experience, I use just the lightest smear of jointing compound on the pipework - after the olive, but before the fitting. The fitting seats on that - and the olive when tightened. It works for me, but this subject has been done to death here and I'm sure someone will disagree.

I dont think any plumber 'goes in bare' nowadays. Too many crap fittings IMO.

Oh except Agile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back