4.5 volt C cells?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Am I dreaming or do I remember that you could buy 4.5 volt c size batteries years ago?

I have one of those mini-LED torches and it's got a 3xAAA cell adapter sort-of-thing, which seems very close to C cell size. I wonder if it was made to replace such cells?

What I want is a rechargeable, 4.5 volt C size cell for that torch; AAA rechargeable batts are hopeless IMHO.

Anyone else have similar memories?

Sponsored Links
https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=TmjWU-yjCOnH8gfZnoD4AQ#q=+rechargeable%2C+4.5+volt+C+size+cell
The trouble with that search is that it is picking up, separately, 4.5V batteries and size C ones - i.e. not necessarily 4.5V C size ones. A glance at the first page or two of hits doesn't seem to come up what the OP is looking for.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
RS sell 3.6v ones.
Although the OP has said 4.5V, I suspect that he was probably erroneously thinking of non-rechargeable ones, and that his 3 x AAA batteries do, in fact, amount to 3.6V - nearly all re-chargeable cells are 1.2V, not 1.,5V.

Kind Regards, John

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=TmjWU-yjCOnH8gfZnoD4AQ#q=+rechargeable%2C+4.5+volt+C+size+cell
The trouble with that search is that it is picking up, separately, 4.5V batteries and size C ones - i.e. not necessarily 4.5V C size ones. A glance at the first page or two of hits doesn't seem to come up what the OP is looking for.

Kind Regards, John
Just trying to help. :(

Just trying to help. :(
I realise that - but, as I said, I'm not convinced that it does (help) :)

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all, and John!:cool:

I'd already Googled it, and having no useful results decided to ask here. Oh well, I must have been dreaming!

The AAAs I use are normal Alkaline, therefore the output is 4.5v. I think I mentioned that rechargeable AAAs are useless.

Why are rechargeables useless? Good ones will have more capacity than alkaline and you can recharge them. As mentioned above you can get a LIon cell to replace the aaa holder.

Why are rechargeables useless? Good ones will have more capacity than alkaline and you can recharge them. As mentioned above you can get a LIon cell to replace the aaa holder.

I've been using AA rechargeables for years, no problem. But all the AAA calls I've tried have failed in a short time, so I don't bother with them any more.

Also the Li-ion cell mentioned costs 16 quid plus the charger!

Thanks all, and John!:cool: ... I'd already Googled it, and having no useful results decided to ask here. Oh well, I must have been dreaming! ... The AAAs I use are normal Alkaline, therefore the output is 4.5v. I think I mentioned that rechargeable AAAs are useless.
Fair enough. I slightly misunderstood - I thought you were saying that the AAA cells you were currently using were rechargeable, and that's how you knew that rechargeable AAAs are useless. (and I have to say that I haven't personally found AAA rechargeables any worse than any other size).

Whatever, as I've been saying, since nearly all rechargeable cells are ~1.2V, I don't think you'll find a 4.5V rechargeable battery of any shape size - it's likely to be 3.6V (or maybe 4.8V), but that didn't ought to matter for a torch. Having said that, I'm not at all sure that you will find a 3.6V C-size one, either!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back