4 core wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help me with this problem.

I have been changing all my existing lights to spotlights GU10 type. Now I am on my last set of light and I came up with unusual wiring.

Normally I would see 3 core wire coming out from the ceiling times by 3.

I would connect 2 blue together three browns together ,three bare earth together and one blue covered with black sleeve. Then I will connect the bulb blue wire to the blue and brown to the blacked sleeved.

Now I came a cross a different colours and it's confusing me.

It has:
Black :covered with black sleeve
Grey: covered with blue sleeve
Brown:
Bare earth wire:

Please can some explain how I should connect these wire they come from the light switch.

sorry my grammar is not good.

Sponsored Links
Connect them how they were connected to the old light fitting.

If you don't know how that was done, look inside the corresponding switch and tell us what you see there.

Is this light controlled from more than one switch?

Connect them how they were connected to the old light fitting.

If you don't know how that was done, look inside the corresponding switch and tell us what you see there.

Is this light controlled from more than one switch?
Sounds like three core + E is taking a neutral to the switch, nothing to do with two way switching.

For starters you have Twin & Earth (Brown/Blue/Earth)and Three core and earth(Grey/Brown/Black/Earth).
If you are messing about with electricity you should already know that for each ceiling rose there are 2 T&E cables that bring the Live, Neutral and Earth loops into and out of the ceiling rose and 1 T&E that takes the Live (brown) from the ceiling to the switch Common terminal and the Switch Live return (blue (with black sleeve)) from the switch L1 to the ceiling rose bulb live brown.
You don't say how many cables the 'mystery' ceiling rose has but assuming you still have the T&E loop then the third wire - 3 core and earth generally has the function of taking Live/Neutral and Earth to the switch and returning with a switch live.
At the ceiling rose your brown goes with the other browns (Live loop), your grey (blue sleeve) goes with the other blues (Neutral loop), your Black (with black sleeve - note this should be brown sleeve) goes to the bulb brown wire and is your (Switch Live return) and earth to earth.
To verify this check at the switch that you have brown in the switch Common, Grey (blue sleeve) in a terminal block, Black (black sleeve) in the switch L1 and earth to lug in the back box.

Sponsored Links
I have been changing all my existing lights to spotlights GU10 type.
On a 1:1 basis?

If you are messing about with electricity you should already know that for each ceiling rose there are 2 T&E cables that bring the Live, Neutral and Earth loops into and out of the ceiling rose and 1 T&E that takes the Live (brown) from the ceiling to the switch Common terminal and the Switch Live return (blue (with black sleeve)) from the switch L1 to the ceiling rose bulb live brown.
And you should have suitable test equipment and the knowledge of how to use it to identify the conductors you've found.

Thanks a lot guys I managed to fix the problem.

As I have mentioned in my problem I had three cable coming down from the ceiling.

cable 1= black (covered with black sleeve), grey (covered with blue sleeve), brown and earth bare wire.

cable 2= blue, brown and earth bare wire.

cable 3= blue, brown and earth bare wire.

connected all the blues together along with the grey (covered with blue sleeve).

connected all the browns together

connected all the earth together

And last connected the black (covered with black sleeve).

Then I connected my lights brown wire to the the black (covered with black ) and blue to the rest of the blue and walla aa aah the light was working perfectly.

Well done. It's good to hear that you fixed the problem ! Just applied some common sense :)

Kind regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back