4" hole in external brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I have a quick question for you. I aim to make a hole in my bathroom wall to fit an extract fan. The distance from the wall and the window is about 60cm (see attached picture). From the outside it seems that there is a hole already but I think it is either covered by the wall or very close to it so I don't think I can reuse it.

I am therefore wondering where the new hole can be drilled considering that there is already a 100mm hole in the external wall. Would you mind to answer the following questions so that I can be sure the builder does not make a mistake:
  • Do we need to keep a minimum distance between the two holes?
  • Do we need to keep a minimum distance between the window and new hole?
  • Do we need to keep minimum distance between wall and new hole?
  • I am unsure how wide the lintel is. Can we drill below it?

The plumber will come to do some work in the bathroom and I asked him if he could do it. He told me he could... Are plumbers normally competent to do such things? I'd like to question him before he starts the work but by knowing the answers hence my above questions ...
:)

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20220619_182533 (1).jpg
    20220619_182533 (1).jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Have you considered an in-line fan that can extract to a tile vent or soffit?
They are quite a bit more effective than wall mounted fans, it looks like you have a hole in the ceiling ready for one and it avoids the hassle of core drilling! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back