4 inch hole under JOIST

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a house where it is terraced and has a alley way. (Where I have a room above it)

I want to put a kitchen extracter fan vented outside. However I realised if I cut hole it may cause the JOIST to drop. Is there anyway round this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
There are normally ways to do this, for example you could trim the joist:
15945022257757047220053872343670.jpg

But it's not really clear what you want to do.

Sponsored Links
Have a boxed out section above the hood chimney to allow you to vent it further across.
Or use a non extracting hood and put an extractor fan in somewhere else in the room

Put the big hole between the two JOISTS, yeah

It might be lower then the yellow mark. If it’s low enough could I put it below the JOIST? For example 1 brick course? Or is that a bit risky?

Risky to put it below the JOIST, yeah. A few courses down and it may be ok, but that’s probably too low for your extractor hood

I could put a helibar in I was thinking. Or some temp support and a very solid duct! But all a bit overkill so I will just drill to the right hand side a bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back