4 Lights in parallel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a real quick question this one guys:

I want to wire 4 x 60watt ceiling lights so that they all come on via the same switch (wired in parallel looks like what I want according to ref section).

Can any switch do this? Or do I need to get one that can handle 4 x 60w (240watts)? Does the amount of draw effect switches / Do switches have a max wattage?

Thanks again guys

Sponsored Links
Any normal light switch will do this. Its no different from having 1 fitting with 4 bulbs on it.

Typically 5A worth -approx 1000watts. As this is close to the rating for the lighting circuit breaker or fuse, this is vary rarely approached.
Some miniature switches have lower ratings, as do dimmers. If in doubt, read the rating stamped on the back. In the last decade or so makers have been obliged to declare it. To get watts, multiply amps by 230.
Note that lamps with a high inrush, and or liable to create switching 'back EMF' transients, i.e. transformer fed low voltage, or fluroescent fittings should be treated as having a peak current twice their real load for the purposes of contact rating, or the life of the switch will be short.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back