4 mode sds ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i've been looking to replace a ryobi 3 mode sds and found evolution on screwfix which states a 4 mode.

the extra mode is between the chisel functions, it has chisel locked and chisel unlocked.

Does anyone know what this means?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like marketing nonsense. Buy our drill it has 4 functions. Oh but we made up the 4th one....

Sometimes when using a flat bit for chiselling you need to change the rotation, my bosch lets you just twist the bit round with your hand through about 8 different positions where it sort of clicks into place.

I can only guess unlocked allows this feature whereas locked keeps it stuck.

It doesn;t make sense though as my bosch doens;t wander around, it stays in the same position.

Yeah i did think it was marketing bull....but that makes sense about twisting it around.
Normall I just swithc to drill mode and stop when its where i need it lol

Yeah my makita has a position half way between rotation and hammer that lets you alter the plane in which the chisel is aligned. I think my bosch does too.

Neither of them are marketed as 4 mode drills as you can only actually use the drill in 3 modes.

Sponsored Links
The only firm who were marketing a true four mode SDS+ drill was Metabo (UHE2650). They have a couple of SDS+ drills with rotation stop + hammer, rotation with hammer, rotation no hammer (0 to 950rpm) and high speed rotation only (for drilling, 0 to 2500 rpm) - all rotation is reversing also. Even they seem coy about trumpeting this as an advance, though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back