SDS Drill Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've gone and bought myself a cheap SDS drill from screwfix to assist chasing out socket boxes in brick.

However i'm having a bit of trouble with it, and its doing something i'm not sure is correct.

Its a 3 mode drill, so has controls for rotary stop and hammer stop. With the controls set for Rotary OFF and hammer ON, ie chiseling mode, it at first appears to do the right thing. However, the chuck itself isnt locked.

This means when you touch the chisel against the wall, the chuck allows the chisel tip to rotate to whatever angle it feels like, and its really not controllable.

Is this normal? I expected that when in rotary-stop mode, the chuck would be locked down and wouldnt rotate at all, and thus the angle of the chisel tip would be controlled by moving the drill itself. As it is, i can freely turn the chuck/chisel by hand, and when trying to chisel the tip will just turn whatever way it feels like.

Cheers
Kev

Sponsored Links
Dad's does the same - not "free" free, but "can be turned by leaving the chisel in a slot and turning the machine" free. Means it's easy to turn the chisel to suit what you're doing.

Your description suggests your's is much looser, which I'd think would be inconvenient.

Sponsored Links
At least i know its faulty, i'll take it back and get a better one.

I dont mind buying cheap tools, if the cheapness simply means they wont last as long before failing/wearing out, or maybe work a bit slower etc. For something like an SDS that i'll use rarely, it wont matter. But when the cheapness extends to the point where it wont actually perform its intended function, then its a complete POS.

I'll see if they've got one of those titan ones instead.

Cheers

PS, put a video here or how slack it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbt19l4t3ko61t6/2014-05-05 16.41.42.mp4

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back