4 new Tyres but none balanced?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had 4 new tyres fitted on the wife's car and none appear to have weights attached, been balanced. There are no obvious issues with vibration or steering wheel judder but I can't recall ever having a wheel escape without some lead attached?

Is this unusual?

Sponsored Links
Is this unusual?
Definitely. I think I’ve only ever came across two wheels in thirty odd years that didn’t need balancing after fitting a tyre. Yours will have been balanced. Stick-on weights will have been used at the rear of the wheel. Can be fitted behind the spokes if using the hidden weight programme found on some balancing machines. I have the facility on my one but….I’ve never used it in the 10 years I’ve had it! My customers are not that fussy and I’ve never been asked to do it. Not even done it on my own cars.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, what's the opinion on balancing tyres using little balls inserted into the tyre?

Sorry, I've forgotten the trade-name of the system .. think it originated in the 'States.

( just remembered .. Dyna-Bead?)

Last edited:
Can't recall the last time I saw weights on the outside of a rim, always on the inside nowadays. Have you looked on the inside?

Sponsored Links
Stick-on weights at the rear of the wheel. Can be fitted behind the spokes if using the hidden weight programme on some machines. I have the facility on my one but….I’ve never used it in the 10 years I’ve had the machine! My customers are not that fussy and I’ve never been asked to do it. Not even done it on my own cars.
Found them!
I've just had a closer look and whereas the weights that had been removed were all on the outer edge - visible in between the spokes, the weights this time have been put on the inner edge closest to the axle. I'm guessing it doesn't make a lot of difference providing they are balanced?

Found them!
I've just had a closer look and whereas the weights that had been removed were all on the outer edge - visible in between the spokes, the weights this time have been put on the inner edge closest to the axle. I'm guessing it doesn't make a lot of difference providing they are balanced?
Stick on weights are stuck (generally) on the rim inside the wheel, close to the outer edge and close to the inner edge.

Not always needed on outer and inner, depending on the wheel/tyre balance. 1 side of the wheel can be balanced without weights while 1 side needs some. But another may need on both sides

Back