4-Panel Victorian Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A friend has asked if I could make her a 4 panel external front door and I'm considering it as a little challenge. Although first i have a few questions:

1. I was thinking of making it out of redwood with moisture resistant mdf for the panels. Then treating it all with cuprinol before priming and painting. Will this be any better/worse than the "engineered hardwood" doors they sell?

2. Is the redwood likely to warp in the future (vendors claim the engineered ones dont).

3. Can warping be avoided using certain primers and paint (eg exterior grade)?

Thanks a lot for your help and advice ... once again!

Zigs

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Ply is ok ... any particular one you can recommend?

Also, what wood do you suggest I use to avoid the risk of warping?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it would be a good challange and wish you all the best, for ply i think you would want either a good standard exterior ply which can be painted or a good marine ply - think its birch, Question two, there is not many types of wood which dosent warp, i think maple is quite good or if possible mabe mahogany, all wood will warp to a certain degree just some are more noticable than others, you could allways try "prem board" thin batons laid with the annual rings at opposite sides to each other, they are usualy pine i think, hope this helps and good luck :)

tom

Hi Tinytom

Thanks for your help. Just one last question re ply ... what's the thickest you can get ply (most i've seen is 25 mm)? Would you glue two pieces of ply together to get them up to 44-50mm for an external door? If so, whats the best way to do this?

Thanks again!

Zigs

hi again ziggy, at work if we need to use thick ply we just glue two sheets together but only one side is the face side, so we screw two sheets which helps hold the sheets while the glue sets, it should be fine as long as it is clamped well, ive never seen any ply thicker than 25 mm either, so cant help you there sorry good luck :)

tom

I have used ply that I seem to recall was at least 38mm and may have been thicker, but it was some specially ordered stuff from Finland and pigging expensive, best to stick to laminating up your own.
I can't help thinking that if your panels are as thick as the door you've more or less got a flush door or are you putting in a small bead between panels and rails ?

get some clear hemlock to make the door. But with all wood its how its been seasoned and then subsequently stored that matters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back