4 terminals 2 wires

Fair point ban, but it works in my installation, and although they are not stonkingly bright, you can see it is illuminated. These switches are in communal hallways with floor to ceiling windows both ends - halls 18 foot long.

Sponsored Links
OK - it was just a concern I had - we have no idea how bright the natural or artificial lighting is where the switch will be. There's also a big difference between just happening to spot that a glow is present, and being able to see it when explicitly looking for it.

Finally, IMHO it goes against accepted practice to have the non-illumination of an indicator warn you of an unacceptable condition.

Since nobody can tell me why a neon connected between switched live and earth is a Bad Thing (i.e. not just against a regulation) it's the way that I'd go if it was my house. Or a PIR switch in the cellar.

Yes, PIR switches also an idea.

Danlers also do these, and models that do not require a N connection.

PS I'm not trying to sell Danlers this month!!

sorry i forgot to mention, yes it is against regs, but you will also be using the earth as a conductor (return) which is not what its for, then what happens if some one sees that it works and does similar with a socket, not a good idea

although somethings will work, and shouldnt be done, there is no excuse to do this one, run in a cable with a neutral supply

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
sorry i forgot to mention, yes it is against regs, but you will also be using the earth as a conductor (return) which is not what its for, then what happens if some one sees that it works and does similar with a socket, not a good idea
I don't understand this objection - you can safely have a neon between live and earth with a socket as well. An actual reg I can't argue with, as that's a documented fact, and we all know about logic and reason in the regs, for if it were actually dangerous to introduce current onto the earth conductor then every PC in the country would have to be banned....

PS - re my PIR suggestion - it's worth reading this as there's a fluorescent involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back