4 way illuminated switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside light at each corner of the house. There are four doors to outside. I want to have a switch by each door, to turn all the lights on at the same time. I understand the best way is to use intermediate switches. I just wondered if it was possible to use switches with lights, so that you could tell if the outside lights are on, could all the switches light up when the lights are turned on from one switch?

Sponsored Links
Two 2way switches and two intermediate switches would control
four lights together from four switch positions

Due to the switching action of these type of switches, indicators on them would proberly not reliably work, in relation to the outside light being on or off so are proberly not available.

You could use seperate indicators though mounted within the switch box , but your wiring would most likely need extra cores one as a switchline for the indicators and also a neutral.
You would need knowledge of circuitry to sort out the best way to wire.
It is possible though.
A four cour and earth cable between each switch, wired via
(2way, inter, inter, 2way)
Two core and earth supply in to one end 2 way switch
Two core and earth supply out to one of the lights from the other end two way switch
Two core and earth between the above light via the others to the fourth light.
There are various other ways to wire though to do the same

I have an outside light at each corner of the house. There are four doors to outside.
How are they currently wired and switched?

It's a fairly substantial task to run switching round the entire house - have you thought how you'd route the cables?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for comments.
At the moment there's only two switches on the circuit, by two doors, with a pull switch and a little red ceiling light by each one. It's too complicated, though to give it any more serious thought. I'll probably just use ordinary switches and peek through the curtains to see if lights have been left on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back