3 way switching to 2 way - nearly there…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Apologies for the first post, I had been idle here for a while due to living in a new flat and not needing to do any work and do not remember my old account / email details.

They currently have a three way lighting arrangement that I would like to replace with just two way.

So the switches are:

Light switch at the bedroom door and two switches at either side of the bed.

I’ve replaced the light switch at the door with a lightwave. Works fine.

We want to replace the intermediate switch with a second lightwave for two way switching.

The third switch (on the other bedside is not needed and I can use Wago

Presently, it’s working with the single light switch at the door.

However when I try to replace the intermediate with the lightwave the intermediate does not power on and the main switch stops working too.

Lightwave support say it’s because the Live is being turned off when switched on / by the other switches.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Live present at secondary switch and working now

Last edited:
Surely it is irrelevant how it was wired before.

You need to reconfigure the wiring for what the new switches need.

Post the instructions for the Lightwave.

Sponsored Links
1) Only green/yellow is not permitted as line conductor, does not matter if red, yellow, blue, brown, black or grey although should really have brown or red sleeves or tape to show line. So colours of wires means nothing.
2) Two way refers to type of switch having two positions where a connection is made, you could get a three way with a centre position but that is not the case here, it is simple two way switching be their two or twenty two switches working the same light.
3) There were two common ways to wire, as we were shown as school, not normally used, or line goes in/out of L1 and L2 and com only connects between the two switches, and com does not connect to the intermediate switch, all it does is swap the L1 and L2 wires, however with smart switches this goes out of the window.
4) Smart switches often have a S terminal light_switch.jpgand the switches are wired as master and slaves, the S terminal is often not 230 volt, and if you put 230 volt on it the switch may be damaged.
5) Because often no neutral at the switch, you can also use a relay, DSC_6061r.jpg this can be fitted at the light rather than the switch, and means all switch wires are extra low voltage, and the mobile phone can switch the light on/off and all switches so you get best of both systems. I use the one shown for landing lights with Nest Mini and voice control, wife loosing use of her fingers now!

Not sure what lightwave switches do or how wired, but as @EFLImpudence says you have to follow the instructions for the switch you have, all the old methods are now redundant.

Easy way is leave old switches as they were, and fit smart bulbs, done this with outside lights, the switches are always left on, and I turn lights on/off with app or voice control.

Just seen your instructions, note 2 way switches the line in and out often L1 and L2 but on/off L1 and Com.

So with Lightwave, you don’t have an S terminal and Neutral is not needed.

They work 2-way by software.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back