Terminating/blanking off 2 way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have two light switches literary opposite each other operating the same two lights, as a wall has been removed between them, meaning one of those switches is no longer used, is obsolete and has been behind a picture which covered up the issue. However I now wish to use a lightwave light switch, meaning one switch needs to be replaced with the light wave light switch but in order for this to work the other switch needs to be removed and blanked off so that it can operate as a one way two-gang switch.

Reading the lightwave instructions I'm comfortable that I could fix the lightwave light switch in place. I have fitted other ones and they are working correctly. However with this scenario there is one that needs blanket off and there are numerous wires in situ which I need to be aware how these are to be blocked off.

I have included a photograph of the lightwave switch, the wiring of where the lightwave switch is to be positioned and two pictures of the switch which needs to be blanked off, put simply, these ones have numerous wires on them.

I do know to ensure safety, and although I don't have any electricial training I believe that I would be able to do this with the advice from a professional electrician. I would like to be able to do this myself with this assistance as it offers a personal achievement.

Any clear detailed advice to make this a one way 2 gang, working lightwave switch would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190105_131058.jpg
    20190105_131058.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 20190105_130709.jpg
    20190105_130709.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 20190105_130727.jpg
    20190105_130727.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 20190105_130828.jpg
    20190105_130828.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 250
Sponsored Links
If you learn how a 2-way switch works, you'll see which wires need to remain connected together and which can be isolated.

Since the switch you want to remove is the one with the permanent and switched live you'll need to use two cores in the 3c+e cables to extend those to the lightwave.

You might as well leave the switch there rather than replace it with a blanking plate, as there's a picture over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back