4 way lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, can someone please do me a diagram for a 4 way light system (4 switches,1 light) I know the wiring for a 3 way system and i believe i just have to add a 2nd intermediate switch but i don't know what colours go to and come from which terminals on the 2nd intermediate switch.A nice basic diagram would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Sponsored Links
t2565752.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:intermediate

Sponsored Links
The choice of colours is up to you so long as they are used to get conductors to correct terminals on each switch (when I say colours I mean original colours as you should sleeve them where appropriate to give correct colours - brown (formerly red) on the conductor ends to identify as a "L" conductor)

ie use two of the colours for the strappers (usually marked as terminals L1 & L2) and the remaining colour as the common (usually marked as C).

My own personal preference is

Twin and earth, L1 = brown & L2 = blue (sleeved brown)
Three core & earth L1 = brown, L2 = black (sleeved brown) & C = grey (sleeved brown) .
That way the permanently energised conductor is always true brown or in old money it was always red!
As I said just my preference, others differ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back