400v 2n

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
following on my induction hob post, I d be interested in just understanding quite what the above means. The hob as mentioned has yellow/green,blue,brown and black, with both black and brown being L1 and L2. So why have two lives.. whats the advantage, and whereby 400v ?

Sponsored Links
On the continent, sometimes cookers are wired to two separate phases - two independant supplies.

Main electricity is AC - the voltage forms a sine wave

Two phases will be 60 degrees apart - that is, one third of a full wave spaced apart.

Although the voltage between the two lives varies, at it's peak there is a potential of about 415 V

Sponsored Links
Oh, go on, I'll "split" the difference...

Let's make it 150 degrees!!

The phasor spacing is 120 degrees between each phase for a three phase system. If you just use tow phases, how does this relationship change to 180 degrees - please explain as I genuinely do not understand this.

the chart on the 3 phase sine waves on wikepedia helped me a bit.

it doesnt change, phases are always 120 degrees apart.

i think you are getting confused with split phase

THRIPSTER said:
The phasor spacing is 120 degrees between each phase for a three phase system. If you just use tow phases, how does this relationship change to 180 degrees - please explain as I genuinely do not understand this.

its split phase. think of a 110V transformer. you have 55V phase to earth and 110V phase-phase. now, if the earth was your neutral, and each 55V was your phase, there 180degrees apart

3 phase are always 120 degress apart

Only if your DNO provide you with 'split phase' (460v phase->phase) [I believe its often used in rural situations for domestic setups (service drops might be long, etc) with storage heaters, provides an econonomial way of distrubuting the current over single phase where no big motors are going to be used - but I'm willing to be corrected on that]

if they just tap you two phases off the standard 3 phase system, they'll still be 120 degress apart |(nothing changes except you have one phase missing from a full 3 phase setup)

As far as I am aware, spliting phases by a DNO is illegal in the UK, can't comment on Europe. They generally split the 3 phase supply to provide two phases, and simply do the same elswhere so that the overall supply is balanced.

I know that in Germany many homes have three phase supplies, with two being used per property, so that over six homes the phases balance..or at least that was how it was done in Munich.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back