45 amp shower pull switch installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am moving the wall switch of the landing and replacing with the above mentioned. would i be best using a sunken backbox into the bathroom ceiling
or a raised one for the room i will need for installing the wires . its old lath and plaster ceiling best option please

Sponsored Links
six of one and half a dozen of the other..

whichever you use you need to make sure it is firmly attatched somehow, so a "fast fix" dry lining box is a no-no..

depends on how he wants to do it..
it's acceptible to put a nogin between ceiling joists and secure a 45mm metal backbox to this..

also usefull if, like me, you have on joist about 9 inches over the bath and the next one about 8 inches over the door...

Sponsored Links
This provides a safe way to fit a pull switch to a lath and plaster ceiling.

Screw 2 pieces of 1 inch by 1 inch timber batten to the joists

bridge across with a length of 4 inch by 1 inch with a 2" hole for the cables

Underneath this another piece of 4" x 1" to fill the space between laths and the bridge. This also has a hole for the cables, screw or glue it to the bridge.

This filler may need to be thinner if there is a a lot of plaster above the laths.

make the hole in the ceiling for the cable and fit the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back