Shower pull switch in plasterboard...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I know the answer to this but...

I have overboarded (underboarded?) my bathroom ceiling, made a hole and pulled through the shower cable for the pull isolator switch.

I think the old switch was just attached to the lath and plaster ceiling above, so no noggins / joists to screw into.

Of course, I didn't strategically place any supports when overboarding the ceiling. :( The hole is right in the middle of my 40cm span between battens.

I seem to have three choices..
  • Risk using spring toggles
  • Dig through furniture, carpet, underlay, lino, vapour layer, tongue and groove floorboards and old ceiling in the room above, in order to add supports to screw into.
  • Get rid of the switch altogether - the shower has a dedicated mcb in the main box.
Thought about a non-pull type switch but it would look a bit daft on the ceiling.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-...MIm_zk_f245gIVw7HtCh30sgugEAQYBSABEgIFHfD_BwE

shopping

Not used them myself, but the reviews seem quite positive

Sponsored Links
If you can get a fixing into the laths themselves, i think you'll be fine. The laths should be well supported with the original plaster and a layer of plasterboard underneath.

I'd fit the switch and see what happens. If it comes loose, then make the hole that the wires come through large enough to pass a couple of battens through that can run at 90 degrees to the laths and fix into those. A few screws through the plasterboard into those battens will make them secure, the switch will be securely fixed to the new battens with the plasterboard sandwiched inbetween and the new battens will help spread the load out across a number the original laths.

Use a normal switch rather than a pull switch (I've done exactly the same). There's no need to isolate the shower every time you use it, the normal switch will do fine for emergencies/isolation for maintenance (though i'd be knocking the MCB off as well in a house)

If you feel it might not be strong enough, then another option would be to cut a circle from a board, ply etc. then stick to ceiling (No More Nails etc), pop in a couple of screws for good measure, then screw light fitting onto that. Once painted white nobody will notice it.

Thanks all, I've decided to go through the floor above. Spring toggles are too big for the small hole and those pull switches are pretty stiff - lot of downward force will be created. Was tempted by the cooker switch idea, but not on a ceiling (and a high one at that).

IMG_20191216_203823-600x800-600x800.jpg
IMG_20191216_212314-600x800.jpg
Fortunately someone had already cut a hole in the floorboards... Put in a noggin but need some longer screws - 90s are just too short.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back