switches in bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbishing my house. I recently had an extractor fan fitted in the bathroom. The electrician put an isolator switch on the ceiling above the sink. I thought normal switches weren't allowed in bathrooms? I thought I'd therefore change it to a pull cord but all I can find is a round one and the switch is square (cut into the ceiling). If the switch is ok I'll leave it but if not can I use a shower pull cord switch? If so how do I wire it? The fan is connected to the light.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Bathrooms are now split into zones based on distances from the bath or shower. Switches such as you describe can be located in what is shown on the diagram below as Zone 3.

A quick Google came up with this diagram

Hi,

I thought normal switches weren't allowed in bathrooms?

That's a common misconception, but there is no absolute rule against a regular (non pull-cord) switch in a bathroom, so long as it is mounted out of reach of anyone in the bath tub or shower.

Sponsored Links
Agreed, the text makes that clear refering to it as "out of zone" but it was still shows Zone 3 on the diagram.

Agreed, the text makes that clear refering to it as "out of zone" but it was still shows Zone 3 on the diagram.

Which may lead to confusion. More important is that it does not mention the other major requirement imposed by the 17th, that all bathroom circuits must be RCD protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back