bathroom extractor fan

ayp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i'm installing a extractor fan in my bathroom ceiling and was wondering if i can link it into the pull cord switch for my shower any advice on the subject welcome.

Sponsored Links
Hello, i'm installing a extractor fan in my bathroom ceiling and was wondering if i can link it into the pull cord switch for my shower any advice on the subject welcome.

Basically, no. It's not feasible because it would have to be fused down before the extractor, which would mean using an FCU. The cables from the isolator to the FCU would in all likelyhood need to be the same size as those that feed the shower, as the only protection is from the shower's MCB/fuse at the CU. You wouldn't be able to fit two large conductors into the terminals of the shower switch, they're tight already with one!

• Thanks
Reactions: ayp
No you cannot connect it to the shower pull switch. Not unless you fit the necessary accessories to fuse down from the 45 amp or more circuit of the shower supply to a 5 amp circuit for the fan.

It would be best connected to the lighting circuit and if you want it to operate when the shower is in use but the light is not on then use a humidity sensor to control the fan.

• Thanks
Thanks for the advice what size conductor cable would i need to run it of the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice what size conductor cable would i need to run it of the lighting circuit.

If you're having a timer fan, 3 core + earth, for fans without a timer twin + earth will suffice, although it make sense to run 3 core for future proofing and just put the spare core into a piece of 5A terminal block. As for conductor size, 1.0mmsq should suffice, but if the existing wiring is 1.5mm then it would be better to continue the circuit in the same size.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back