45 Degree rule?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm just looking into having a rear extension built on our semi detached house.

The extension will be on the boundary line and will be 3 metres deep to keep within permitted development.

My only concern is that the wall on the boundary line would probably fall inside a 45 degree line.

I've looked on the planning portal and it makes no reference to the 45 degree rule for PD, however I wondered if anyone could tell me if this is actually the case.

I can phone our local planning (Stoke on Trent) dept on Monday to confirm, but I was hoping to get some guidance before then if possible.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the extension conforms with the PD rules then the 45 degree rule has no relevance so you can ignore it.

And not all LPA's adopt the 45 degree rule. Some LPA's will just take a general view on it and if they think there will be significant effect, then they will act accordingly.

Sponsored Links
Yes DD but whether the LA adopt any of its contents in their planning policy or not it is irrelevant when an extension is PD.

I know. The thread title mentions the 45 degree rule but the actualy post refers to PD. You answered the PD part, I answered the 45 degree part :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back