480w dimmer?

D

dm999

Hi,

Great site here, I've already picked up a few wiring tips - thanks!

I'm now looking for a 'brass' Georgian style dimmer for a chandelier running 12 x 40w bulbs but all the diy shops seem to sell dimmers for 450w.

Does anyone know where I can get one that will cope with 480w?

Thanks,
dm

Sponsored Links
dm999 said:
Hi,

Great site here, I've already picked up a few wiring tips - thanks!

I'm now looking for a 'brass' Georgian style dimmer for a chandelier running 12 x 40w bulbs but all the diy shops seem to sell dimmers for 450w.

Does anyone know where I can get one that will cope with 480w?

Thanks,
dm

1: chances are, youll need to 1/2 the rating of dimmer, so youll need 960W.

and

2: why the hell do you need 480W of light?

You'll be lucky to find anything like that outside of a theatre...

Hi there, I had a similar problem and found this on TLC's website that may be of use to you. They claim "Our dimmers have been re-rated for GU10 Lamps and are able to dim GU10 lamps to the wattage stated on the dimmer". FOR SOME OF THEM ONLY.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Systems/DimmerGuide.htm

They solved my problem and unlike the exisiting dimmer (too low a rating) that was installed when I fitted the new lights all is well. I had (until then) not appricated the need to de-rate a dimmer for certain bulb types.

This link is similar in design (not style to what I ordered) http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIG1701.html and had been fine (plus you can use the TV remote to dim the lights - now that is lazy!).

Hope it helps.

Sponsored Links
andy said:
2: why the hell do you need 480W of light?

:LOL: just moved home so have inherited the light!

Was thinking of replacing some of the 40w bulbs with 25w so I could use the 450w dimmer. I'd have it on fairly low-light so aesthetically differing wattage bulbs wouldn't concern me, I just don't know if this is a safe/practical solution?

Thanks to everybody for their help.

dm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back