4mm twin & earth supply for attic ring main???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm boarding out the attic of a new extension as a hobby room.
I've fitted a 'garage' consumer unit up there with a ring main (5 double sockets) and a lighting circuit. I intend to feed the fuse box with the original, now unused 6mm shower supply but it needs extending from where the shower was to the new attic consumer unit - 8-10m max
question is I already have 4mm T&E will this be sufficent, could I double it up or should I fork out for 6mm?

max load on the ring main would be a 2kw heater, hifi and Scalextric ;)

Sponsored Links
The cable size, as you know, depends on what the rating of the protective device is.

Why did you bother with a ring final up there for 5 sockets and a load of <3kW?

If you're in England or Wales did you tell the council that you were doing this work?

The cable size, as you know, depends on what the rating of the protective device is.
32a at the house consumer unit

Why did you bother with a ring final up there for 5 sockets and a load of <3kW?

seemed like a good idea at the time, the fuse box makes to convenient to isolate sockets or lights rather than climbing back down stairs

If you're in England or Wales did you tell the council that you were doing this work?

extension is not signed off yet so i'll get it checked out by a pro

Since you've already fitted your garage board, use 6mm back to the shower cable. You can theoretically use more than one cable to increase the load, but if you want a friendly electrician to help you out, do it properly. There's no point in using 4mm for the sake of a few quid. You may want to increase the load at a later date.

Remember, an electrician can only sign off his own work.

Sponsored Links
32a at the house consumer unit
If you've taken it on yourself to do installation work like this you should know whether you can use 4mm² cable or not.

seemed like a good idea at the time, the fuse box makes to convenient to isolate sockets or lights rather than climbing back down stairs
It's not the CU I was questioning - it's the ring final.

extension is not signed off yet so i'll get it checked out by a pro
That's not how it works.

Prepare yourself for disappointment and hassles with Building Control... :confused:

cheers Sparkyspike
:)

B.A.S. thanks for your concern
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back