Amending a ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked by a friend to adjust one of his ring mains. It's an outbuilding with it's own old Wylex CU with a 30a rewireable fuse.

Currently he has 6 single sockets in one room with the ring going up into the attic supplying 6 double sockets. The attic ones are not in use and are currently just back boxes with the poles taped to one another, the wiring is old black and red standard. He wishes to supply 8 double sockets in another room and rip out the redundant ones in the attic.

My plan was to cut into the wires that supply the attic, use junction boxes to extend them into the new location and ring the new 8 doubles. I also plan on replacing the 30amp rewireable fuse with a new 32a type B MCB.

Is this a sound plan? I'm confident it will work; I'm just looking for a bit of input and error checking really.

I'd (personally) also like to have the ablity to isolate the new 8 doubles with a single switch. I believe I can't do this if I plan to use the ring route?

Sponsored Links
Check the total floor area to be covered by your extended ring. Last time I looked, the limit was 100 sq m.

No, you can't islote part of a ring with a single switch. This should be obvious if you think about it because, even if you could find the necessary four pole switch, you would be breaking the ring! If you really want to do this you should have two rings. :) :) :)

Check the total floor area to be covered by your extended ring. Last time I looked, the limit was 100 sq m.

No, you can't islote part of a ring with a single switch. This should be obvious if you think about it because, even if you could find the necessary four pole switch, you would be breaking the ring! If you really want to do this you should have two rings. :) :) :)

Thanks for the reply...so many views!!

It's well under the limit which I already checked.

Regarding the isolater. I totally know the theory of it, I just didn't know if something crazy existed to relocate the ring or something. Never know if you don't ask!

In the abscence of other remarks, I assume my plan is sound? I've ordered a plug socket tester just in case to check my work. I'm really looking forward to doing the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back