extra 2 gang plu socket off existing spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a second double socket in my attic bedroom, however the socket I was going to connect from is a spur from the main ring.
I have traced back the wiring and the ring is in the room below my attic.

Can I just add an extra double socket from the spur or should I run another spur from the main ring?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatly you cannot spur of a spur.

You have a couple of options:-

1. Run a spur of a different socket from the bedroom below into attic.

2. Extend the ring into the attic.

You are allowed a single spur of each socket on the ring.

Rgds

Carpman

Or....

You could reroute the feed to the current socket to an FCU.

Then you can feed as many sockets as you like from the output terminals of the FCU, but you are limited to 13A maximum load.

not to mention you're only supposed to have a single socket - not double - on an unfused spur. As ss says, put a FCU before the first double socket in the loft and then take another double off that. 13A should be plenty unless you're running heating eqpt.

Sponsored Links
Is that Scottish regs? According to 17th ed., you can have a double socket on an unfused spur.

No, yr probably right - see my signature! BS7671 is the same in Scotland, it's the building regs that are different.

Pretty sure that's what we were taught though - re the single socket. It makes sense. Double socket = fused at 26A (2x13) = overload of single run of 2.5mm cable without tripping 32A breaker . . .

A double socket will still have a current rating of 13A and will not be fused at 26A however you could possibly pull 13A per socket which would equal 26A.

As suggested by replacing the existing spur with a 13A FCU and continuing onto the sockets the install will be protected.

Well, not strictly true. BS 7671 allows the use of double sockets as spurs where the load current is unlikely to exceed the current rating of the cable. Which is why spurs aren't used for heavy loads such as in kitchens, which could exceed 20A.

How many times are you going to edit your post Carpman!?

A double socket will still have a current rating of 13A and will not be fused at 26A however you could possibly pull 13A per socket which would equal 26A.

As suggested by replacing the existing spur with a 13A FCU and continuing onto the sockets the install will be protected.

The socket itself might have a 'rating' of 13A, as given by the manufacturer, i think this was discussed in another post a while back. But, if you plug in two things with 13A fuses in them then it WILL be fused at 26A . . . assuming a ring with 30/32A fuse/breaker and not a radial with 15/16/20 . . .

The socket itself might have a 'rating' of 13A, as given by the manufacturer, i think this was discussed in another post a while back. But, if you plug in two things with 13A fuses in them then it WILL be fused at 26A . . . assuming a ring with 30/32A fuse/breaker and not a radial with 15/16/20 . . .

Wrong! you will have 2 appliances plugged in each fused at 13A max..

So the double socket can keep drawing current up to and above 26A, given the right (wrong) conditions probably melting the cable? before anything trips. Each plug-top is fused at 13A, the circuit is fused at 30/32A, the double socket is fused at 2x13A = 26A. I'm happy to have corrections and clarifications by those who know what they're on about, thank you sparkspike, but just what is it that we don't agree on? Sorry if you've been installing double sockets on spurs willy nilly, personally i always do a single or use FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back