Quick question about spurs / FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am redoing the kitchen and need to add an extra double socket on the other side of the room ( so putting it into the existing ring would be awkward ). This is in a bungalow, so all the wiring is in the loft.

I already have one spur ( from the main ring ) which is running the socket for the boiler and nothing else ( just has a double socket on it ).

If I took this spur, first ran it into a 13A FCU ( before any sockets ), would it be OK to add the one double socket for the boiler to this, then just connect the new double socket ( will just be running a kettle ) onto the first socket ?

I know you arent supposed to run a spur from a spur, but if it is going into the FCU first, so is protected, would this be OK ?

Ta[/img]

Sponsored Links
You can run as many accessories off a fused spur as you like because the current is limited by the fuse. If you have good loft access you could even put your FCU up there - an easily seen and accessible position on a purlin is ideal.

Thanks, as the socket for the boiler will be in a cupboard, am planning on fitting the FCU in there are well - as it will only be running the two nearby sockets it should be easy enough to find in the future if there was a fault.

STOP! the boiler needs a maximum 3a fuse!
you cant put a 13a fuse in then feed the other sockets as well as the boiler!

(if thats what you were planning)

edit....didnt realise the boiler was on a plugtop (that needs to be 3a)

Sponsored Links
Yes, boiler ( oil boiler ) isnt hardwired into the mains, its plugged into the double socket. Its the same plug that was used when the boiler was fitted, and when it was checked and services a couple of months ago, so think it should be fine as the fuse in the plug is protecting the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back